Why do shapeshifted druid moves automatically succeed?

• 21 Replies
Re: Why do shapeshifted druid moves automatically succeed?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:07:40 PM »
Thanks for your help again. I feel much better prepared. I MC my first game of DW tomorrow night so I hope it goes well!

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 11:40:43 PM »
Maybe I misunderstand again. There is no limit to the amount of times a druid may shapeshift so he can easily say "ok i use my holds to become human again" *do thing that needs thumbs "Ok I turn back into a wolf'' roll 2d6 "ok i remove throat". Any roll above a 3 (92% of outcomes) gives at least 2 holds with no consequence so there is little risk in doing this.

As others have noted, nothing says you have to give them an easy no-consequences de-throating every single time they act; maybe you tear out the first orc's throat and then the others are a little more cautious and you have to do a DD or H&S roll to pull it off.

Every roll is a chance, however small, of a miss. Having WIS +3 means having some other stat at +0, maybe the stat you needed your thumbs for. No mistake, shapeshift is *very* powerful, but like every other powerful move in DW, eventually your hero's going to biff the roll.

No mistake, shapeshift is a very powerful move.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
As others have noted, nothing says you have to give them an easy no-consequences de-throating every single time they act; maybe you tear out the first orc's throat and then the others are a little more cautious and you have to do a DD or H&S roll to pull it off.
This is how I intend on handling it, thanks for your helpful comments.
I do not really understand why the druid has such arbitrary rules which are in total conflict with how every other class is handled but I am willing to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Every roll is a chance, however small, of a miss. Having WIS +3 means having some other stat at +0, maybe the stat you needed your thumbs for. No mistake, shapeshift is *very* powerful, but like every other powerful move in DW, eventually your hero's going to biff the roll.

No mistake, shapeshift is a very powerful move.
I think it's one of the coolest moves in the system. I just wan't to make sure the other 3 people at the table are having fun and that that everyone else doesn't take a backseat to the druid.
I really want to make every character shine.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
I really want to make every character shine.

Here's another thing to consider. While DW doesn't have a strict turn-taking system, it's pretty natural to alternate between asking one PC what they're doing, giving them one move, then narrating what's changed in the fictional positioning as a result, then going to another PC. But the GM is also free to play around with the rhythm and put the spotlight wherever he wants. If you feel like the Druid is exploiting Shapeshifter too much, you can simply do this:

"Blah blah orcs appear blah blah charging you. Wildroot, what do you do?"

"I shapeshift into wolf form! That's... 5, plus 3... 8, so I hold two."

"Great! Your body twists and reshapes and flows and you're a snarling grey wolf. The orc nearest you stops in his tracks, amazed at your transformation, and raises his shield defensively. (Addressing the Thief--) Tinyfeets, that guy's completely focused on the wolf and doesn't even see you, what do you do?"

In other words, the Druid has to spend a "beat" (in chess terminology, "lose a tempo") to "charge up" his powerful moves. I wouldn't do this all the time because the next PC to act might undermine the Druid's plans, which if it happens a lot would be frustrating, but it's a simple way to make sure each character gets a chance to shine.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
Excellent advice. Thank you

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »
right way

zmook

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 01:22:38 AM »
I used to worry about the way there was no limit to the number of times a character could use a move like Shapeshift or Cure Light Wounds or Fireball.  But the better I get at GMing this game, the less of a problem it is, because I've learned how to make my players afraid of the failure.  With a +3, maybe they'll only fail one time in 10 or so, but oh, how badly I can make them regret a fumble at the wrong time.

It's a magical transformation of your entire body – *anything* could go wrong.  Get stuck in animal form with no hold for moves.  Shatter some gear and get stuck with it wrapped around you.  Get wracked by pain and end up temporarily helpless on the ground.  Get the wrong form entirely (hello mouse).  Get the form *too* well, so you're overcome by animal urges and forget your human goals. Get a geas from the Powers of Nature to do what *they* need. 

As DM, find the result that makes them groan, "oh no, of *course* that would happen!"  If it fits in the fiction and doesn't take anyone too far out of the game, anything is fair game.  They picked up the dice, so they knew it could happen.

You want players to think twice any time they pick up the dice.  It's the key to making this game shine, and IMHO, the biggest reason you would choose to play it over regular D&D.  Whatever you're doing, it can *always* go wrong.

(You've probably also found by now that the Druid is far from the only character with a powerful move that can mow down mooks.  Not many ordinary goblins are walking away from contact with the Fighter or the Barbarian either.)