"Shut someone down" used by ghost in her darkest self?

• 1 Replies
"Shut someone down" used by ghost in her darkest self?
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:20 PM »
Hi. I have a question about "shut someone down" move. In our PBF session, we have a ghost and a rusalka. The scene is as following - both of them are in the abandoned mansion, where the ghost lives. Rusalka is peeking around, ghost is in her darkest self, immaterial and unable to do anything except interacting with objects. Rusalka discovered some hidden room, with some witchy stuff. Ghost thinks it's related to the mystery of her death and she said she wants to take a magic book rusalka is picking up, and hit her with it right in the face. Now, rusalka have no idea that this strange thing doing some poltergeist-like stuff is our ghost.

My problem is - our MC, without the ghost player even saying what she wants to do, what is her intention, said she should pick - is she using shut somebody down, or lash out physically. I think none of the moves can be used, because ghost is in her darkest self. She is unable to shut somebody down - they are not in this kind of interaction, rusalka doesn't even know the ghost is the one hitting her. My opinion is MC should rather let rusalka decide - is she struggling and doesn't want to let the book go? Is she in shock so book hits her, and what later? Do you think ghost in darkest self is able to lash out physically (move implies there have to be some struggle, trading harm both ways etc) or shut someone down? Using only material objects?

(sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker)?

Re: "Shut someone down" used by ghost in her darkest self?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
"Take a magic book rusalka is picking up, and hit her with it right in the face" sounds like Lash Out Physically; and Ghost's Darkest Self says "you can still affect inanimate objects", so I'd allow that as MC.

Shut Someone Down is, to me, a social move, requiring some kind of communication or face-to-face confrontation.

Note that the player making the Lash Out Physically move chooses the downside on a 7-9, so there's no need for the Ghost to take harm if she doesn't want to; even if she did, it could be interpreted as strain from the effort of making a violent move while incorporeal, or any number of other things.

This looks like a straightforward Lash Out to me.