Cosmonauts - Retro Hard SF

• 1 Replies

zefir

Cosmonauts - Retro Hard SF
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Hello

I am thinking about Retro SF hack, based on the golden era SF, and leaning more in the retro hard-sf direction (my main inspirations are Polish SF writers - some early works of Stanislaw Lem, but also others - general it will have delicate soviet era flavor): atomic rockets, low techlevel computers and automata, exploration, etc.

Currently I am assuming three archetypes: coordinator & pilot (kind'a captain - can be potentially broken between two classes later on), engineer and scientist.

- every character will be picking options of the rocket, so coordinator will choose general tonnage and drive plus maybe some other options (recon rocket, recon satellites - using film rolls of course), engineer will be able to select additional equipment (ground vehicles, automata, etc), scientist will be picking science equipment ('computer', more extensive lab, thermonuclear devices for seismic tests)
- bits of equipments will be giving additional moves
- tradeoff between the size of rocket and other parameters (only smaller rocket will be able to do atmospheric manuevring) - here I have a bit of difficulty of what should be a tradeoff for larger rocket
- I want this to more or less work as PvE without "hard" conflicts between characters

Characters will be getting mission briefing, which would be kind of main threat for them. No burning, but some kind of graph for creating general mission for MC. High level option:
- exploration (new planet)
- investigation (mysterious signal, some strange activity)
- rescue mission

There will be some mission criteria: "gather information on what happened to previous mission" for instance.
When the characters uncover all important information bits, they can consider their mission done (should they know how much they need to ncover?)

But characters will also have their personal success criteria:
- coordinator: gets points for completing mission as fully as possible
- engineer: points for conserving rocket/team resources and keeping everything working and undestroyed
- scientist: gathering science data (maybe I should call it Impact Factor points?) - this can coincide with the main mission, but doesn't have to
- pilot (optional): planet/system exploration (mapping, etc.)

Moves ideas:
Coordinator
Remind of the Mission - social moves, allowing him to appeal to the characters sense of duty, so they focus on the mission.

Engineer
Repair - fix stuff, which will eat up resources and in case of 7-9 can also need some additional stuff (cannibalise something in the rocket, gather some local resources, use up more spare parts)

Scientist
Research - gather research data, in case of 7-9 could get entire team in jeopardy, break something, disturb something locally.

Pilot
Explore - this I have trouble with.

Issues:
- how much picks characters should have
- how much dedicated moves
- what general moves to pick for them, and what moves to leave for fiction
- should all character be able to use moves from special stuff picked by others
-- no (why?)
-- yes (won't that make them feel redundant?)
-- yes but with lower attributes ratings (maybe the better you are at 'your' stuff, the worse you are at other)
- balancing rocket size - higher 'mission cap' for larger?

How to do development:
- don't: one mission - one player wins
- additional options for rocket (with rocket size dependent on how much options players taken)
- additional character development
- larger crew with smaller specialty areas (engineer + robotics expert instead of engineer, multiple specialty scientists)

Things I missed here? Obvious issues I am not seeing?

My first hack idea, and any insights, reading suggestions, inputs - anything, will be very welcome.

Re: Cosmonauts - Retro Hard SF
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
I would be very interested in this. I have seen "The Silent Star" / "First Spaceship on Venus" which I assume is what you are going for. I have tried to track down a copy of "Ikarie XB-1" but have never been able to. Are there other movies you know of that would be good source material? Some of the american ones are fun but very schlocky.

I know I should really read more of that old sci-fi - I only have a couple of Lem novels.

Anyway, I think there are other things you could add to it. You could use a theme of political tension to go alongside scientific cooperation. Obviously that is from the cold war but could still be used - having one or more people be a spy who has to decide whether to carry out orders or help the mission would be great. Assembling the crew and getting the ship built for the mission could be a large part of the game.

Possible characters:
Media / communications - tasked with informing the world about the mission, and probably having to deal with censorship and technical issues
Doctor - has to deal with unknown effects of space and alien stuff on the crew
Soldier or Political - sent to "protect" the crew, actually tasked with keeping an eye on them

I would be tempted to make "special mission" cards and give them randomly to the players, covering political stuff, personal issues, etc.