Generations of the Apocalypse

• 3 Replies

Lukas

Generations of the Apocalypse
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
A while ago, I started thinking about the implied chronology of Apocalypse World, and what this would mean for teh setting we present. What do people know about the Golden Age? What are their relationships with the actual apocalypse?

For the sake of this post, I'm assuming that the apocalypse happened roughly 50 years ago, as described in the core rules. More specifically, I'm assuming an "apocalyptic period" of years 55-45 before Now, where things were breaking down and the world was in complete disarray. At some point during this time, the psychic maelstrom emerges. With this in mind, I'm thinking we can see the following generational groups in Apocalypse World:

Ancients
The Ancients are 80 and older. They are the people who were adults when the apocalypse came, who already had jobs, families, valuable skills, all that stuff. They were adapted for a different time, and thus it is no surprise that most of them died during the apocalypse. Furthermore, the loss of everything they held dear and the exposure to the maelstrom is bound to have made them at least slightly insane. Still, the few who still survive are bound to have useful skills (either from before the apocalypse, or gained after) and be the best possible sources of information regarding life in the Golden Age, although their memories might be scrambled from the Maelstrom. These are likely to have "normal" names, although most of them are sufficiently unique in their communities that everyone refers to them by some monicker ("the Old One", "the Doctor", "the Teacher", "the Chief"). Surviving to this age in Apocalypse World is rare, and an Ancient is an almost legendary figure.

Elders
Elders are in their sixties and seventies, and where children or young adults during the apocalypse. They had less to lose than the Ancients, but also less security, so they, too, are the survivors of a generation that mostly died out. The maelstrom has been with them since their early years, but they are still not native to it. Many carry intense traumas, like any child growing up during an age of massive devastation. Their recollections of the Golden Age are less reliable, for they are frequently distorted by an idealised image of their childhood. They were given normal names, but some might have shedded them and donned new ones. Not all communities have Elders.

Inheritors
This generation consists of people in the forties and fifties. They were born during or right after the apocalypse, to parents belonging to the Ancient and Elder generations. They grew up knowing nothing but the post-apocalyptic world, but heard plenty of stories about the Golden Age, and are likely to have learned the basics of their parents' pre-apocalyptic skills. I assume that this is the generation where you find most authority figures the characters encounter. Many of them try to remake the world in the image of a Golden Age they've only heard of. Their names are more similar to the ones in the playbooks.

Natives
Natives, people in their twenties and thirties, tend to be born to Inheritors or the younger cohorts among the Elders. They are the ones who grew up without any relevant first-hand knowledge of the Golden Age in their families, except in the rare cases when a grandparent or other older relative survived long enough to tell their story. They are, therefore, the true natives of Apocalypse World, the ones for whom this is the only way to live. Their skillset is more related to present concerns than to transmitting knowledge from the past, with a few exceptions (among player characters, we might assume that Angels, Savvyheads, Hoarders and some others are exceptions). Literacy is not guaranteed. People interested in recreating the Golden Age are uncommon -- most care more about survival in the here-and-now.

And younger...
The teens and children of Apocalypse World have very little connection to the Golden Age. In the case they care about it, it's as a legend, not as something people they know actually lived through. Whatever future they make, it will be one where devastation is the natural state of the world.

Re: Generations of the Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
I like this post--not something I ever really considered or internalized, from the "throwaway" description of the apocalypse!
Gives one a perspective on general moods/natures of folks based on age, which *should* inform role-playing (it will for me, henceforth).

As If

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:03:52 AM »
Nice work.  You might find some useful stuff in this thread here as well:
http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=6803.msg29930

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
I like it. I usually figured that the nature of the apocalypse meant that even the Ancients/Elders couldn't really remember anything from before. Given that it is hinted that nobody really remembers the actual apocalypse either.

But this might be a nice alternative take on it.