Denying mechanical rights

• 1 Replies
Denying mechanical rights
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
At first I didn't think it would be possible to deny mechanical rights. Like if someone has the right to roll bold instead of weird in this situation, they always get to do it in that situations. However, I'm beginning to wonder if that's true. My main thought comes from the idea that rights have to "come from somewhere." That there is an in game narrative reason you have this right, some justification that provides the reason people respect you, or let you impress them with your boldness as opposed to your interpersonal skills.

Perhaps it's a custom, like the right to hospitality of hall, hearth, and board. Perhaps it's a legal tradition, ala anointed heir to a crown The right to inherit the crown upon its fall. Perhaps it's the god's themselves, give someone the healing of your god or gods. Or perhaps it's simply the nature of the world, Fate, karma, whatever you call it, The Ta' veren nature of our PC's. Regardless, that's how I see rights as working.

This implies that if there is a cause, a reason a person has a right, if that cause or reason vanishes, the right would vanish as well, including mechanical ones.

Even without that reasoning, the simple existence of the denied right move could be justification that mechanical rights could be denied. Not really sure that I have a point with this, just some thoughts I've been pondering
There is some things after life. It's called death.
-Ringo

Re: Denying mechanical rights
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
Thoughts are good!