Questions and answers...

• 24 Replies
Re: Questions and answers...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
Thanks for help! Some more mechanical questions.
1)If Gunluger have "Not to be f*cked with" and use weapon with dmg more then 3( grenade tube for example 4 dmg, does he still do 3 dmg as written in "Not to be f*cked with" ?
2) Same question and if he uses weapon that make lower dmg- 2 for example, he still do 3 dmg with "Not to be f*cked with" ?

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
Yes to both questions. A 3-harm gang isn't comparable to a 3-harm weapon. When using Not To Be Fucked With, the Gunlugger has to be in a battle (not just making a harm-y move like Go Aggro or Seize By Force), and uses the gang rules instead of individual combat rules.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Hello again guys! I have a question so didnt want to start new topic for it.
I wish to understand better how the savvuhead's move THINGS SPEAK works correctly.
If a character asks "what has been done most recently with this, or to this?"
In answer from MC he also understands how this things work and how to use it? As he saw how this thing used before by someone? For example- in his adventures Savvyhead found control panel( or computer) but he never before used a computer or control panel like this. After a THINGS SPEAk he know how to use it?
If no- i am interesting is there any move for players to learn how to use something through moves in adventure except asking psychic maelstrom " How to use this thing or How it works?
I saw a move in a COOT handbook Remembering the Time Before - and it has a question in this move - "How do I work it"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:20:34 PM by Ksandr »

Munin

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
I think a lot of this depends on the fiction. If it makes sense that by knowing what was done to this thing last would show the Savvyhead how it works, then the Savvyhead knows how it works. More importantly, if it makes sense to the story that things speak confers this ability, then go for it.

Also, keep in mind that even if you decide things speak is less comprehensive, the Savvyhead still always has the option to take the thing back to his workspace and figure it out. I think whatever works for the pace of your story is fine (although I do always love to give the Savvyhead more reasons to do stuff in the workspace, because it is magically delicious!)

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »

Like Munin says, it depends a lot on what the thing is, and also how involved an answer you think Things Speak provides. I generally imagine that the Savvyhead gets a brief impression, like 10-15s or so. If that's enough to figure out how to use the object -- e.g. if the object is mechanically simple, and the main problem is just ignorance of what it is actually for -- then sure. If it's something as complex as a computer, then probably watching someone use it for 10s is only going to provide a partial understanding, or a starting place -- e.g. figure out how to turn it on, or how the input devices work.

But I don't imagine that the choice would provide any kind of supernatural/instinctive understanding of how the object works -- that would merit a different option altogether. As for how they could figure out how it works otherwise: the Workshop moves/rules are the way to go, for sure. I don't remember if it's explicitly on the list, but 'figure out how this thing works' is a pretty obvious use of a Savvyhead's workshop.

Munin

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
Although I should point out, sometimes things speak is exactly what is needed to figure out how something works. For instance, our last AW campaign was set in a very futuristic setting (all taking place on a dilapidated space station on the far side of a collapsed wormhole, long cut off from Earth). At one point, the players encountered an unfamiliar (and still functional) access keypad-controlled airlock door:

Cipher (PC Savvyhead): "I'ma take a closer look at the keypad. I got a 9 on things speak, so... 'what was the last thing done to this?'"
MC: "Some dude entered the code 11732."
Cipher: "I punch in 11732."
MC: "Hey, look at that, the airlock cycles and the door opens."
Cipher: "Magic!"

lumpley

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »
Nice!

-Vincent

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
Thanks a lot for ur answers and support guys from Ukrainian Odessa community. =) And i am here again to be mr. stupid questions =))

I want to ask about how did u in ur games realise Augury

AUGURY
When you use your followers or your workspace for augury, roll+weird. On a
hit, you can choose 1: • Reach through the world’s psychic maelstrom to something or someone connected
to it.
• Isolate and protect a person or thing from the world’s psychic maelstrom. • Isolate and contain a fragment of the world’s psychic maelstrom itself. • Insert information into the world’s psychic maelstrom. • Open a window into the world’s psychic maelstrom.
By default, the effect will last only as long as you maintain it, will reach only
shallowly into the world’s psychic maelstrom as it is local to you, and will
bleed instability. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7–9, choose 1: • It’ll persist (for a while) without your actively maintaining it. • It reaches deep into the world’s psychic maelstrom. • It reaches broadly throughout the world’s psychic maelstrom. • It’s stable and contained, no bleeding.
On a miss, whatever bad happens, your antenna takes the brunt of it.

If its not hard for u to tell an examples for every question in this move and also a common idea of Augury u used in ur game. THANKS A LOT!

Ebok

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 06:40:49 AM »
These haven't been stupid questions. AW is built on impressions, like the number: 3-harm is a thereabout measure of a mostly arbitrary cinematic event ex: enough to blow that random guy no questions, really hurt and probably kill that specific tough guy, and one more of those will be the end of you unless you're kitted for big-ass cinematic warfare. Because AW is about impressions, its important that people ask these questions. It's how we start to wrap our heads around the why, something we got to do if we're going to run these games.

On Augury

This has manifested in my games on five different occasions. Each one was so completely unlike the others that really, nothing we tell you here will be a good indication of it potential. Augury is defined by the maelstrom, something that is completely and utterly unique to each gaming group and probably each game of AW too. The maelstrom is the flavor that helps make the games feel to radically different, and because of that, this move tends to define itself when someone picks it up and does it.

Some examples:

CYBERPUNK -- I was running an AW game that replaced everything wasteland with glitz glam sleek tech, corporate gods and filth that crawls the streets beneath the high rise cities. The game took place in the filthy degenerate outdated undercurrent, which involved all the PCs having criminal rap sheets, tussling over turf, and forcing anti-terrorist over-reactions from the elite. Essentially it was a man-against-god humanity-against-technology, where the maelstrom was the parts of the technology that just seemed to get out of man’s reach. It was the noise echoing from the internet of things, the security cams with their millions of recorded unwatched minutes, the life inside the robotics.

Our Hacker was a Hocus. He was always speaking Technobabble and marshaling a hacker-group made up of his followers. When he used his followers to go go augury, he was calling them to their computers, pushing virus' and code and fishing into the maelstrom for whatever he wanted. He used his augury for a number of things throughout the game:
• Hacking into a government computer and altering files (inserting information)
• Hacking security cameras and other sensory objects (opening a window)
• Cracking a Gun-Tooting automated Robot and taking it over (contain a fragment of the maelstrom)
• Programming and essentially giving birth to his own AI (contain a fragment of the maelstrom
• Running counter-hacking to prevent a Big Corp from finding a Friend (isolate and protect someone from)

The options many different things, but one by one they sort of (sometimes) became:
• Persistent = It let him have more time, do more simultaneously, or have extended cover / awareness that always tipped him off "announce badness" to something before it hit him.
• Reaches Deep = He could get into the most secure files, the stuff normally just too deep to protected too
• Reaches Broadly = He got more information about tertiary things that were related to his attempt, all useful, sometimes even completely unexpected. It was during one of these that the spark of the AI maelstrom was revealed to have an agenda all its own.
• Its stable and contained, no bleeding = you didn't set off alarms getting whatever you were after, you've got time before they release what happened, or your hack didn't hit more (leak into infrastructure, start fucking with shit you use, etc) then was intended, etc.
Miss: your followers / antennae takes the brunt of it. His little hacker group got to grow to be something huge and effective on the world scale–at least, for a while before its members started getting caught, squealing, getting killed, jailed, etc. Made life complicated.

FALLOUT - I have examples from Fallout styled games where the maelstrom was a dying earth and the slowly decaying memory of the world that was before. I'm not going to detail it out right now, but essentially they used augury to expose pats of the world that had been nearly "lost to time". The decay of the world and the forgotten time-bombs related to that were a big influence on the maelstrom.

THE DEAD - I have examples from a Post-Magical-Apocalypse game we dubbed the Magikataculmus. Essentially magic got out of hand and became a wild storm that reshaped the world, killing just about everything in the process. FF6 world of Ruin style for those familiar. The maelstrom was both harnessed magic and the memories of the dead. Really it was the ghosts of the dead wandering in the thin veil between this world and the next, held there because there was still at least one person infected with the weird that remembered them. It was a creepy dark game where even the dead killed people, or people killed themselves because they were hallucinating dead people, that never did become clear (as intended). Anyway the maelstrom in that game reached back into the dead, but only as the living knew it. So you could try to see where a dead person is wandering (where he died, etc) but only if someone alive could place him there, and he could only tell you what someone alive knew, and he might be haunting you now that you remember him. Anchors of the dead mattered, so sometimes augury was used to erase something or someone forever, change how everyone remembered an event, move a ghost or capture one, creating haunting storms to harry opponents, to free themselves from a curse, to bring back the half-dead from the mitts of the maelstrom.   Crazy.

ANTI PHYSICS - I have examples from a game where the maelstrom was landscape of physics as it broke down and fucked up space/time/physics. Augury got used to teleport there, to stop the spatial degradation of an area, and caused a rift in the world that tore an entire landscape threat/treasure into... somewhere/somewhen? big ass hole where water rolled down into a bottomless vortex. It was coming out somewhere else and pouring into the same ocean so its not like it was gonna run out of water and dry up... but still. Huge damn portions of the map were drawn and redrawn with augury. That game was a three-shot one so we never did see how far it could go.

NEW WORLD - And I had been attempting recently to run another game, it never got off the ground but the brainstorming launched the group into a massive space-station as it crashed into an earth-like planet. With the environment and chemical make up of the place doing /weird/ things to the survivors. We did play a session, and during that session augury was used to directly communicate with the essence of the maelstrom. Something much biggest then could be comprehended at the time. It was an open your mind and then ask GOD some questions, only the god has an agenda and you, you're just human, not some type of prophet. That could have gone in so many cool ways. Alas. I'm done writing this for now, I could probably keep going and going.

Edit: excuse the little typos. I corrected the worst ones.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:25:51 AM by Ebok »

noclue

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Thanks a lot for ur answers and support guys from Ukrainian Odessa community. =) And i am here again to be mr. stupid questions =))

I want to ask about how did u in ur games realise Augury

From our AP, The Airfield.

Specials, who did you lose?

My son. I remember watching on the sub’s monitors as the bombs fell, obliterating my hometown (Past. GM Chooses one: Who did you lose?).

Specials is in the Psi Isolation Chamber, reaching through the Maelstrom to Tammy (Augury 7, You reach through the psychic maelstrom to something or someone connected to it.) He sees her about to go into a briefing, holding a swaddled baby and an assault rifle. She turns to him “You need to let us go. The Device didn’t get a chance. It was turned off too soon. It can end it. All of it. What’s left of it.” Specials tries to convince her not to end the world (Read a Person 6). He sees the Airfield, his men Mill, Bar, Chako and Krim are behind barricades, guns locked and loaded. “Is this what you want to save?” asks Tammy. “These people ready to kill each other for stunted potatoes? I won’t bring this here,” she says showing him the baby. Specials can see that it is a small skeleton. “Name one thing worth saving.” As his vision pulls back, he sees she is at Dodger Stadium...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:23:21 PM by noclue »
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER