Extended Mediography

• 147 Replies

Bret

Re: Extended Mediography
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 05:58:24 PM »
The 1962 short film La jetee by Chris Marker. In tunnels beneath the ruins of  Paris, brainers perform a series of time-travel experiments and, monitoring the dreams of their prisoners, send one man back in... time? his memory? the psychic maelstrom, perhaps?

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jetee - mind the spoilers.)

It was remade in 1995 by Terry Gilliam: 12 Monkeys. I haven't seen this version though.

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 01:41:37 AM »
Here's some brand new slightly-goofy apocalyptica.

Extra geek cred points if you can ID the justifiably well-known comic book author (and frequent apocalyptician) who guest stars.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/my-chemical-romance/582953/na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na.jhtml

-Jim C.

noofy

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
Just perusing hippy / alternate stuff, and had a lightbulb moment.
Alternate festivals as inspiration for colour, costume, landscape and tribe. The Burning man site has pictures galore!
http://galleries.burningman.com/browse?mediatype=photo

I've done my wallet print trick and added a whole swath of potential NPC pics this way. Fantastic visual resource.

noofy

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2010, 04:33:49 AM »
Ninja Apocalypse through the maelstrom...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esuEWB5ixd4&feature=channel

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »
Jeff Russell mentioned the Akira soundtrack a few pages ago. I just watched the anime for the first time and loved the visions of Neo-Tokyo. It was a kind of liminal space, in the throes of apocalypse, or on the brink of it. I like the idea of playing Apocalypse World in a setting where nobody's really sure if we're in the post-apocalypse yet. The Golden Age is gone, and we're waiting with bated breath for the day when nobody remembers it anymore. Kind of got me wondering whether an apocalypse depends on who you ask.

Anyway, Akira is a great movie, lots of psychic mindfuckery and chopper gangs. Kind of makes me want to hash out a playbook that uses psychokinetic powers. Or come up with a Driver/Chopper move to deal with mounted combat of the type we see at the start of the movie.

noofy

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
Huh. Its funny the movies you remember as a young adult being fricken awesome, then you don't watch them for a couple of decades and suddenly the best RPG since the redbox makes you watch them all over again.

Im talking about Salute of the Jugger, filmed in the desolate backyard of my arid country, the setting revolves around  a post apocalyptic future in which 'wars waged in the wake of mankind's success in the 20th century have left the world barren and the past forgotten. In this time, most live from hand to mouth in enclaves known as "market-towns" or "dog-towns", scrounging out a bare subsistence harvesting hardy crops, raising dogs as food, and trading in whatever remnant trinkets from the past still survive.'

The game is a brutal sport played to entertain and gain notoriety. Players are part gladiator, part athlete and always hungry for more. Perhaps a playbook lurks in there somewhere?

Wiki gives all the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blood_of_Heroes

I'm gonna start on the playbook today.

Chroma

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
I'd like to suggest Luc Besson's "Le Dernier Combat"

From the IMDB blurb:

"In the post-apocalyptic future, only a few humans are left. No one is able to speak; the film contains no dialogue, and characters communicate non-verbally."

It's rather intense... and excellent...
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 04:47:15 AM »
I haven't yet finished it, but I've been listening to the Audiobook of the The Passage, by Justin Cronin.  So far I'm finding it very good, though bleak.  Several really good ideas for AW.  It covers an Apocalypse in the early part and post in most of the rest of the book.

But here, the ephemera from the book seems like just the thing to use in a game.  Though the tone of this apocalypse is a bit different than AW.

Check out this map and the "one law" document that follows it, from Google Books

http://books.google.com/books?id=2hLRAkzKHjIC&lpg=PA264&ots=yrzBtbUX4H&dq=the%20one%20law%20the%20passage&pg=PA261#v=onepage&q&f=false

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
We just started a new game set in the cold frozen land of (undetermined). We have a strange mix of PC's: a Angel (me), a four armed Skinner (Meg), and a newly awakened Quarantine (Elizabeth). I'm really excited to see how this will go.

I just watched Atanarjuat The Fast Runner (http://www.isuma.tv/) with the dynamics of living in a vast cold area with little livable space, and few people. The slow burn to explosion of the conflicts is interesting, as is the very ritualized group conflict resolution (taking turns punching each other in the head, which I guess could prevent or stave off outright murder). The film is part of a trilogy, and was the first Feature length film spoken entirely in an Inuit language

You can watch the movie online I think, or download it for a suggested donation of $10. Isuma TV is an awesome project founded by the director and producer of The Fast Runner. I'm not in any way affiliated with them, but I got really excited about the things I watched here, donated, and downloaded, and want to share their awesomeness.

From the website: IsumaTV is an internet video portal for indigenous filmmakers, with unique indigenous-language content available 24/7. Our goal is to help films and filmmakers reach a wider audience; help audiences see themselves in their own languages; help communities connect around common concerns; and help worldwide viewers see indigenous reality from its own point of view.

IsumaTV a FREE service to filmmakers and viewers: a serious, professional, high-quality space to post your films on the internet, in a respectful user-friendly context.

IsumaTV is an open call for existing films and new concepts of internet TV, we invite filmmakers, partners and financial contributors to join this collective effort to preserve and enhance global indigenous filmmaking.
♥ Julia

Chris

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2011, 10:54:16 AM »
I was really surprised not to see Deadwood on the list. The characters are straight playbooks and I can see the moves happening on the screen, not just the basic ones, but even the character ones.

A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Jeff Russell mentioned the Akira soundtrack a few pages ago. I just watched the anime for the first time and loved the visions of Neo-Tokyo. It was a kind of liminal space, in the throes of apocalypse, or on the brink of it. I like the idea of playing Apocalypse World in a setting where nobody's really sure if we're in the post-apocalypse yet. The Golden Age is gone, and we're waiting with bated breath for the day when nobody remembers it anymore. Kind of got me wondering whether an apocalypse depends on who you ask.
If you like the movie, you really owe it to yourself to track down the manga. The movie only summarizes roughly the first two volumes and the end of the 6th and final one. If you think there's already a lot of psychic mindfuckery, you should see the post-pseudo-nuclear-blast wastelands of the second half, taking place in a cut-off, lawless zone right in the middle of the city, patrolled by ai-controlled army robots, supplies occasionally dropped from helicopters, the surrounding world trying their best to figure out what is actually going on in there.
The idea of an apocalypse world within a relatively normal one is perhaps even better realized there, where they essentially live the life of scarcity and conflict so often associated with apocalyptic fiction while surrounded by a modern nation, with all the infrastructure, politics and abundance associated with such.

The second part also very heavily shifts the focus from Kaneda (who disappears) to Tetsuo (who builds a cult and gets into the habit of killing every woman he sleeps with, leaving their world with a severe shortage of females - and that's just the beginning)

noofy

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:29 AM »
I was really surprised not to see Deadwood on the list. The characters are straight playbooks and I can see the moves happening on the screen, not just the basic ones, but even the character ones.

I could not agree with you more.

Angel, Chopper, Gunlugger, Hardholder, Operators, Skinner ect ...

Deadwood is the hold. Lots of external and interior threats.

Just dead on. Plus the gritty sex and violence. Dead on.