Right to call upon god or gods for the Court Wizard?

• 9 Replies
Right to call upon god or gods for the Court Wizard?
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:30:20 AM »
Am I missing something here?  The description of Consult the Other World indicates that calling upon your god or gods is a thing anybody can do as a basic move, using Weird.  And Weird will be the best stat for the Court Wizard.  A right letting them call upon their god or gods using Bold doesn't seem like it does anything valuable at all for the Court Wizard.

Golux

Re: Right to call upon god or gods for the Court Wizard?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
OH but a right is different than a move.  If I am held in prison and not allowed to see the sun to prey to my God and I have no right to do so does not allow me to trigger the Denied Right move.  I cannot call down the wrath of said god upon the jailer who would stand in the way of my rights!  I cannot hold it against the MC that he would have this happen to me! I cannot bemoan my fate and lament the torment I am subjected to!

Having the right to do something (even if it is a basic move) is MUCH cooler than just being ABLE to do it.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Your example notwithstanding, I can't think of a lot of cases in which that right would be denied, and the denied-right move is mechanically pretty soft. To me, it doesn't balance both the Bold vs Weird penalty and the cost of spending a playbook rights slot.

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »
Rolling bold instead of weird is an error.

-Vincent

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »
That's a shame.  I liked the implication - the Court Wizard is familiar enough with how the Other works that he can yell at the heavens and hear the answer, but he has no right to except that of hubris and ready tenacity (BOLD).

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
I think its worth noting that not only does the Wizard get the Denied Right move here but the implication is that no one else has the right to call upon the god or gods of their people. Someone without a right to Consult The Other World can still do it in the same way that someone without the right to kill for the greater good can still kill someone. Don't get caught.

Ich

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
While Kill for the Greater Good is obviously a locally given right, I don't think the Right to Consult The Other World is something given on this world.  I think attempting that that without the Right would be more akin to praying to a god that just doesn't listen to you.

I'm sure there could be scenarios made where those are not true, but they seem like the most plausible takes to me.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »
I don't know, it seems to me that there are several implicit priesthoods here. Its an interesting question whether consulting the other world is a right given by the gods (ie they listen) or by men (ie the priesthood has a monopoly on revelations). I guess I more easily imagine the latter since the thing that the Wizard has a right to is mechanically identical to a thing anyone can do. See also my take on right to enchantments.

Ich

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
Yeah, actually, I believe you are right.  I saw your post in the other thread and took another look at the rules.  As you quoted, it does say "You can perform any enchantment, at any time you choose to do so," and gives details how.  So, yeah, it looks like you might get burned at the stake for doing that when you ought not be!

Thanks, nomadzophiel!

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
You've got me wondering/riffing on this whole "your right according to who" thing now. :)
Like the Wicker Wise's rights are clearly recognized/given by her culture/people. The Keep Liege's come from the crown. The Court Wizard's rights seem to come partly from his religious organization, partly from his gods (the more supernatural stuff).  Someone who recognizes the Court Wizard's rights may well not recognize the Wicker Wise's and vice versa.