Before play: battle

• 3 Replies
Before play: battle
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
A PC Leads and Attack and rolls, chooses options. Then her enemy Comes Under Attack.

If her enemy is an NPC, does that mean the MC rolls for that War Company and chooses options?

I notice that nowhere does this text say "the MC never rolls dice" but that seems like enough of a divergence from PbtA to warrant calling out. (Also in the Soldering season move.)

lumpley

Re: Before play: battle
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »
Yep! The MC rolls for the NPC war captain.

-Vincent

Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
Related question.  Suppose two forces meet each other on an open plain.  There are some preliminaries, but they end up charging each other.

Do both war-captains lead an attack and come under attack simultaneously?  So they both roll twice, make choices from each move, and then we figure out what happened and what happens next?

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Related question.  Suppose two forces meet each other on an open plain.  There are some preliminaries, but they end up charging each other.

Do both war-captains lead an attack and come under attack simultaneously?  So they both roll twice, make choices from each move, and then we figure out what happened and what happens next?

Re-reading the battle moves, I was thinking exactly the same. I'm really looking for ward to test the battle moves.

In a (fictional) way it makes sense for both war captains to charge each other, and thus both Lead an Attack and Come Under Attack at the same time.

Could one of them choose only Come Under Attack (fx. in attempt to launch a counterattack, or decide to surrender due to a miss)?

Could both parties choose Come Under Attack? I assume not, because then there's no active attack and the two war companies are probably just biding their time, sizing one another up etc.

Per