The Ungiven Future/Experience

• 3 Replies
The Ungiven Future/Experience
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to make sure I had a full understanding of the Experience system in the game, specifically I'm not feeling totally sure about The Ungiven Future.

1) If no domain seems appropriate both the MC and/or the other players can choose that option, and the person gaining the experience can take a new right that is already on the character sheet. Is there something else that happens when all four rights have been taken, or does that just mean that the experience granters should mark The Ungiven Future and/or be more creative when selecting domains?

2) There is a fillable dot to the right of The Ungiven Future on the character sheets. Does this signify that the MC or the player has declared it to be open or does it mean something else? Once The Ungiven Future is declared open does it stay open or does the MC and/or player receiving experience have to open it at the end of each session if one of them so desires?

3) Does The Ungiven Future count as one domain where the player receiving the experience gets to choose from the list of five, or do the people giving the experience get to choose from that list as well?

4) How soon should the MC write in the fifth option for The Ungiven? When they first mark it? I don't know if anyone has used it yet, but if you have I'd love some examples. (I'm guessing you're going to write something context appropriate for the story and either ominous or hopeful, like "Finally succumb to possession by Bushyasta," or "Obtain passage to return to Knin." Should the MC define that marking three in this category will cause the character to be retired (like in "Abandon this character to die" or presumably "Create an inheritor to play") or does the MC not have that power (or should it just be left in the open)?

That's all my questions for now, I'm very excited to play. Thanks!

Re: The Ungiven Future/Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:19 AM »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to make sure I had a full understanding of the Experience system in the game, specifically I'm not feeling totally sure about The Ungiven Future.

I'll take a stab at answering...

1) If no domain seems appropriate both the MC and/or the other players can choose that option, and the person gaining the experience can take a new right that is already on the character sheet. Is there something else that happens when all four rights have been taken, or does that just mean that the experience granters should mark The Ungiven Future and/or be more creative when selecting domains?

"A right of your own" means the set of not-yet-chosen-rights from the characters playbook or "create a new right with the MC". So if "right of your own" keeps getting hit after you've filled the playbook, there's that option. But I wouldn't worry about it, it should be easy to hit the other rights-domains.

2) There is a fillable dot to the right of The Ungiven Future on the character sheets. Does this signify that the MC or the player has declared it to be open or does it mean something else? Once The Ungiven Future is declared open does it stay open or does the MC and/or player receiving experience have to open it at the end of each session if one of them so desires?

I assume that's to mark the Ungiven Future as open, and that it's permanent.

3) Does The Ungiven Future count as one domain where the player receiving the experience gets to choose from the list of five, or do the people giving the experience get to choose from that list as well?

I'd treat each Ungiven Future line as a domain, MC and other-players choosing where to bestow each XP. In practice the receiving player will likely get a lot of input.

4) How soon should the MC write in the fifth option for The Ungiven? When they first mark it? .. Should the MC define that marking three in this category will cause the character to be retired (like in "Abandon this character to die" or presumably "Create an inheritor to play") or does the MC not have that power (or should it just be left in the open)?

"The Ungiven is the MC's to write." To me that means when as well as what, so the MC should write it when they feel like it, and sure, that could be a character-ending thing -- e.g. "go out in a blaze of glory", or "die at the hands of the one you've wronged" if the character's done irredeemably evil things, but it doesn't need to be that final.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »
Those all sound like reasonable answers! It seems like The Ungiven is sort of like a character specific form of Fronts, which could be pretty interesting. Thanks!

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
Good answers!

-Vincent