Master of Ceremonies Playbook

• 3 Replies
Master of Ceremonies Playbook
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:02:59 AM »
Greetings!

So after being unable to track down a print copy of Apocalypse World after searching for some time (still shedding tears), I bought an Apocalypse World Engine bundle to get the book and print it out for reading. Well after sitting around while my printer fired off pages for some time, I excitedly sat down to start reading and was confused by something. The book says "Master of Ceremonies Playbook", as do several other of the PDF's that came in the Zip.

In the "basics" section, in the first paragraph it says that since this is the Master of Ceremonies' playbook, I am the MC...Is this different than like a core gamebook? Was there a MC book and a Player Playbook and this bundle didn't include it or something? I don't know anyone else who has the book, so I don't have anyone locally I can ask.

This may be a dumb question, I'm sorry if it is. I'm just worried I am going to have to buy another PDF to get started and have everything I need.

Re: Master of Ceremonies Playbook
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:19:03 AM »
Don’t worry! The book you have printed is the Master of Ceremonies Playbook and it is, in fact, the Apocalypse World corebook. The other playbooks needed to play are the character playbooks, which are the character sheets you can find in a separate file in the bundle you bought.

It’s just a stylish way Vincent used to name the Apocalypse World corebook: that is the Master of Ceremonies Playbook because it is your playbook, whereas the other players’ playbooks are the character playbooks. Simple.

Is it all clear?

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

There is also an MC playbook -- in the sense of a similarly-sized set of pages that you can print out and use as a reference. It has a list of names, and a notes area for the First Session, and the Principles and Agenda and such. I don't know which passage in the book you're referring to, so it's possible it actually refers to that printout (which is freely available online, pretty sure) rather than the metaphorical reference that Daniele aptly explained.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
If your pdfs are like mine, you should have an MC booklet, some basic moves booklets, a first session booklet, and some booklets for your fronts in the same pdf file as the character sheet booklets. Just keep scrolling down - the character playbooks all come first.