Touchstone: Visionary move on a miss

• 3 Replies
Touchstone: Visionary move on a miss
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:45 PM »
In this period I’m playing a lot of Apocalypse World. In this campaign I’m playing Iris, a brainer, and my friend Francesca is playing Road, a touchstone.

During the last session, Road used for the first time the move Visionary on Sam, the juggernaut:

Visionary: when you share your vision of the future with another player’s character, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3 over them. On a 7–9, hold 2 over them. Whenever you like, you can spend your hold, 1 for 1, to have them mark experience. On a miss, they hold 1 over you, on the same terms.

and she missed the roll. We read all the move, with a special attention to the miss part, and we couldn’t understand if the meaning is:

• the other player holds 1 against the touchstone and awards experience to the touchstone according to their (= of the touchstone) vision;
  • the other player holds 1 against the touchstone and awards experience to the touchstone according to their (= of the other player) vision.

In the first case, the emphasis of the move would be on the other player’s judgment about the touchstone vision; in the second case, the emphasis of the move would be on the other player’s vision opposed to the one of the touchstone.

I wonder which of the former is the correct interpretation of the move.

lumpley

Re: Touchstone: Visionary move on a miss
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
Oh, they just get to award the experience whenever they like. They don't need to pay any attention to anyone's vision at all. (The Touchstone doesn't either.)

-Vincent

As If

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
Personally, I would hold it until something happened that poked a hole or otherwise possibly refuted (or at least complicated)  the Touchstone's general philosophy or worldview.  I think it's most easily applied right at that moment, to indicate "Hey - I just learned that not all people agree with me", or "I just learned that some people are very hard to convince no matter what I say."

But that's just me.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:11 AM »
Ok, thank you for your answers. I'm going to link this post to my game mates. ;-)