Which hack was that again? (notable members of PC's gang)

• 3 Replies
Which hack was that again? (notable members of PC's gang)
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster of these awesome forums here. Now I have a question that neither my google-fu, nor my frail memory can solve for me, and so I turn it over to y'all:

While working on some hackery recently, and browsing the interwebs, I found a passing reference to some hack that had rules for "notable members" of a PC's gang. But now I can't for the life of me seem to find that reference again.

Anyone happen to remember which hack/game that might have been? It sounded like there would be guidelines (or perhaps even hard 'n fast rules?) to detail a handful of "notable" individuals from NPC groups such as gangs or threats and such.
I'm at a complete loss here, but would like to incorporate something like that in an upcoming game I got planned...

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips, everybody!

regards, Auburney
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:15:30 AM by Auburney »

Jeremy

Re: Which hack was that again? (notable members of PC's gang)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
It's from the AW: Dark Ages first look document. The warherald' band.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
Oh, that's a little bit embarassing now - didn't think it was something so recent! Thanks for the heads-up though!

As a matter of fact, I never actually got to read the AW:DA first look, sadly. I noticed that bandwagon too late, and apparently Vincent wasn't sending them out any longer by the time I wrote and asked for it. 

Could anyone who has it, send it to me by any chance? Or else give me a concise rundown on those rules perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:22:00 PM by Auburney »

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
anyway, here's what I came up with on my own so far:

I should note that it's a Viking-themed hack, although with some small changes to the language and details of the example raiding party members, this could work for regular AW (or many variants) just as well I think...

Raid Leader (or Hetman, haven't decided on a final terminology just yet)

You get a raiding party of around 15 brave and vicious people, men or women or mixed. By default, they follow you and heed your commands, because they know from experience that you will lead them to glorious victory and plentiful loot.

Amongst your party, there are 3 or 4 notable members – detail them. For each of them, give them a name, and briefly say what they look like. Then describe a habit they exhibit in combat, and a social habit they display at other times.

For example:
„Thrane, a big, shaggy guy who likes to rip into foes with his two trusty hand axes and often picks his nose while talking to people“,
or:
„Jagra, a lean, agile woman with lanky hair who seems to have trouble looking people in the eyes, except when she impales them with her war-spear“)

Also, for each of them, answer at least 1 of the following questions:

* what is the secret you share with them, but keep from the rest of your party?
* when you first met them, what did you have to do to make them change their mind about killing you?
* what debt do you owe them that you haven’t been able to repay yet?
* why did you allow them to join your party, even though there would have been good reason for you not to?
* what do you periodically have to do to keep them loyal and prevent them from challenging your leadership?

... obviously, if you've been watching a certain recent TV series about a certain pack of Dark Age nordic raiders, you'll notice that several of these questions are pretty directly derived from there ;)

Apart from that, what do you think? Is the colour provided by these means sufficient to make them "notable", or should I add more mechanical aspects as well? (Such as giving the Raid Leader character a History stat with each of the notable people, or something like that?)