Questions for people who have run the game

• 7 Replies

jacob

Questions for people who have run the game
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Hello people who have run a playtest game!

How 'big' is your setting? Did you keep it small and intimate (just the locations/holdings defined in character creation) or big and Game of Thrones-y (large in scope, lots of additional areas)?

Are there lots and lots of NPCs running around or is the story zoomed in mostly on the PCs?

What kind of narratives dominated play? Action scenes, political intrigue, gossip and social backstabbing, etc?

Re: Questions for people who have run the game
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »
Running a Pbf with a Heir 2 rank, DragonHerald 3 rank, WarHerald 5 rank and a TrollKiller 3 rank

Setting defined in character creation, elements added when needed

Story zoomed on PCs, but there is still 5-6 importnat NPC.

Both kind of narratives, social and political as well as action, mostly it depends on the playbook playing

jacob

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
Thanks! I'm really curious to see how the game plays out for most people. The game provides all this great world building baked into character creation (which I LOVE) but I'm curious how games get the PCs all in the same place (or do they? Maybe they'll play out Game of Thrones style, with each point of view character off doing their own thing...)

I'm very tempted to try and get a bunch of people together to try a 'urban fantasy' game where all the holdings are in one place, so we have one sprawling city-state that different characters have claims over parts of.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
We are playing all separated, by sometimes they cross their ways

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
My game is physically fairly small. Everywhere on the map can be reached by horse within a week or ten days. My goal was to keep all of the major locations within one day of travel from any other, and then I stretched them along a rough "y" shape.

Given their oaths, my group clustered naturally into two "teams": the OH, WH, and WW in one, and the TK and DH in the other.

We calculated the relationship of the OH with the monachy, and determined that the current King claims the throne under Noble Blood, but the OH has a claim under the Blood of Eagles. The Mountain Clan Queen on the DH sheet I have decided also has a claim to the throne under the Old Blood, but that hasn't come up yet.

Once fortunes were rolled, I found it fairly easy to find reasons for the two teams to be pointed at each other at the start, and they met up by the end of session one. Session two is this Sunday.

Ich

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:25:17 AM »
Did you continue your game?  How did it go?

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
We didn't. I got in one session before the announcement of "major changes", so we stopped, not wanting to get too attached to rules that were going away. The AW:DA game has thus been on indefinite hiatus, and I've been running the Eternal Lies campaign fram for Trail of Cthulhu instead.

How about yours?

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
We playtested it on Google Hangouts. Did 3 sessions and now waiting for the new version.

The way AW:DA handles holdings and fortune made me realize it's awesomeness and potential for other games.