Dream Apart, a Shtetl World minigame

• 7 Replies
Dream Apart, a Shtetl World minigame
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
Hey folks

So I just got a playtest version of Dream Apart slapped together. It is a hack of Avery McDaldno's Dream Askew (which is a deep mechanics-rethinking hack of AW, inverting the mechanics so that players co-MC, a token economy replaces dice, and PC moves look like NPC/Threat moves) in the Shtetl World setting.

The Character types are The Sorcerer, The Matchmaker, The Midwife, The Klezmer, The Soldier and The Scholar, and it's set in a fantastical shtetl in the Pale of Settlement in Russia in the 1850s.

I want to take a few more passes on it before I post it publicly for general download, but if you are hankering to playtest and give feedback, send me a private message with your email...

noclue

Re: Dream Apart, a Shtetl World minigame
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
Hey Ben, I tried to PM you but it didn't look like it went through. Would love to provide feedback and playtest. This game hits squarely on my interests. Let me know if you got my PM. If not, I'll try to send it again.

Thanks,
James
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
noclue, I got it and email is on its way to you!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:28:50 AM »

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
I got around to working on this game again and have a new version. If anyone wants to playtest, let me know!

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »
New playtest kits (as noted in the brainstorming & development forum) are at https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/belongingoutsidebelonging

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
This -- along with an updated version of Dream Askew -- has now been launched on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/averyalder/dream-askew-dream-apart

It's funded already, but there are some amazing stretch goals coming up if we keep going (including Joshua A. C. Newman doing a badass pistol-packing klezmer riff), and some interesting rewards are open.

The playtest kit already published remains the core of the game materials, but there will be a whole lot more info in the book we ship, and an accompanying stretch-goal-funded zine.

(I will crosspost to brainstorming & development since I expect more people look there...)