No "and be prepared for the MC to do worse" on playbook moves?!

• 3 Replies
Holy shit, I just realized that all of the basic moves say, "on a miss <something>, and be prepared for the MC to do worse.", but all of the playbook moves specify what happens on a miss, and do not say "be prepared for the MC to do worse." Does this mean that rolling a miss on a playbook move does not give the MC an opportunity to make as hard a move as he wants, but only to make as hard a move as the playbook move specifies?

If so, that change makes a lot of sense, since with a playbook move you're rolling in a situation another character would not be rolling.

I also like the basic move "on a miss <something>, and be prepared for the MC to do worse." I think it helps overcome one misunderstanding of the AW rules I had when I first came to them, and that I've noticed most of my friends who have tried to MC have had, that on a miss they could do anything, and not just something following from the conflict that the basic move represented. I also like it because it means the MC can't hold back, past a certain point.

Re: No "and be prepared for the MC to do worse" on playbook moves?!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
I might or might not be running this in a couple of hours, and I'd really like some confirmation or rejection of this. If I don't get it, I'll play it by my reading.

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
Correct.

(In Apocalypse World proper, the character moves all specify what happens on a miss too. This isn't new.)

-Vincent

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
Ah, ok. Guess I just didn't notice. Thanks!