questions on Outlaw Heir

• 15 Replies
questions on Outlaw Heir
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
1 - the fortune move applies also to safe passage and sanctuary? if not, when the bounty and the want come in play?

2- the heir start with 1 supporter, when does he adds other supporters?

Re: questions on Outlaw Heir
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »
2. When you make them your supporters in the fiction.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Uhm, I guess also this could be answer also for the first quesiton, if I don't miss something.
It could be a MC moves.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
safe passage and sanctuary are a type of supporter.  You don't get their bounty and want from fortunes, you get it from the support move.  You roll whenever you call upon the support.  So you'd check for safe passage every time you were passing through the (wherever)

niamh

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Is support just a straight 2d6 move?  I don't see anything that raises or lowers support.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Ah, you roll support also for using the safe passage and sanctuary?
It makes sense, but I didn't think about that

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
niamh, I wondered about that too.  If i'm reading it right, the only thing that boslters it is a 10+ on the previous support roll.

But given that the 7-9 result gets you bounty with no drawbacks, rolling w/out a stat makes sense.

niamh

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
And the drawbacks aren't that bad.  Got it.  Thanks.

niamh

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Can PCs become Supporters?

lumpley

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Your fellow PCs can be your supporters, of course, but don't list them on your character sheet as "supporters."

This is because the support a PC gives you can't (and shouldn't) work by the same mechanisms that you use for your supporters.

-Vincent

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
We got an issue on the Beautiful & Doomed moves.

The Heir approached a tax collector and his guards and told them to gave the money back to the peasants because he is the legitimate heir.
He rolled 10+ on B&D
So, the collector was scared, while there is a friend of his family among the peasants (but he doesn't know yet who is). Also a girl felt in love, but it is not important right now.
In the meantime one of the guards sprints to attach him.
The player was not satisfied of this, because he got someone who tried to killed him like if he rolled 6-.
My guess is that it doesn't matter, the success did not give him a sort of immunity.If someone want to kill him because of the fiction he will be attacked even with a success.

Am I right or I've been a bit too harsh?

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
Oh, I think it's valid as long as you approach fairly, not without warning. Give him time to react, act, think.

- A

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
I assume that absent the result of moves, NPCs simply act according to their nature.

It's possible that what the player wanted to do with the move is to have the tax collector be his friend or fall in love with him, but otherwise, I'm not sure there's much merit to his complaint.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
@fealoro, I think you did fine, provided 1) you followed the text of the move, and 2) the results of the move were clearly possible as results of the fictional action taken. I find this article really helpful for thinking about how to handle this: http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2011/05/apocalypse-world-guide-to-hard-moves.html

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:35:50 PM »
In the meantime one of the guards sprints to attach him.
The player was not satisfied of this, because he got someone who tried to killed him like if he rolled 6-.
My guess is that it doesn't matter, the success did not give him a sort of immunity.If someone want to kill him because of the fiction he will be attacked even with a success.

Am I right or I've been a bit too harsh?

To give a dissenting view, I'd say that except in some very particular circumstances I wouldn't have done that. If, say, it had been previously established that the guards were going to attack anyone who gets in their way, or if they're under orders to kill the Outlaw Heir on sight, or if the Heir had struck down one of the guards as part of their flashy entrance, then sure I'd say that "one of the guards steps forward, sword raised" is a valid response, but if all that happened thus far is "As your ruler by birthright, Ossumman Stone III, I command you to give these people the taxes you've taken," and the move wasn't a 6-, the most I'd do in that direction is have a guard come up, sneering, hand gripping his sword that's still sheathed, being all, "Uh, firstly, no, and if you say anything more, we'll be getting all excessive force up in this bitch." That's when the Heir is given an opportunity on a goddamn platter to Claim Their Rights ;)

As far as I'm concerned, you were too harsh (unless previously established that the Heir was to get the shiv). That said, it's your and your friends' game, and the only people who can really judge are you all. Talk to your fellow players. Say your piece. Be open to being wrong, but stand by your decision unless discussion convinces you otherwise.