[Playbook Draft] The Honey-Tongued

• 11 Replies
[Playbook Draft] The Honey-Tongued
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Hey all!

I realized there was an archetype that I didn't see represented amongst the present or todo playbooks. Someone who acts through intermediaries and pulls strings, a manipulator or kingmaker.

So, in a mad burst of inspiration, I made one!
I think the moves need a little polish, and it needs look items, but I like it a lot!

Feel free to critique, use, remix, whatever. Hope it inspires or helps someone else!

- Alex

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fTzAXJPYm5cFGGGzGnub2x1m82skibu6WZRrxBzOAXo/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [Playbook Draft] The Honey-Tongued
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
Just a really random question, sorry.

Is 6 population appropriate for a busy establishment? I feel like that number should be bigger.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
Oh, no need to be sorry!

The population there is the staff only, I was estimating.
It could be a bit higher, maybe up to 12 or 15, but I certainly wasn't counting i.e. patrons.

I've doubled it for now, to 12, but I'm sure I'll fiddle with the numbers a bit.

- Alex

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
Oh absolutely, I get that. I guess my mind jumped to I don't know how busy your brothel can be with only 6 employees.

Also, I wonder about the wording on Draw Someone Out. When I draw them out, if I have marks, I get the armor. I'm not sure how often violence will immediately follow a DSO move, or how often someone could interrupt violence to DSO. Perhaps just "You take +1-armor ongoing against anyone whom youve marked DSO" and drop the specific need to roll the move to get the armor.

Unless that was totally how you meant it, in which case that's not how the text reads to me and perhaps some tweaking there is in order.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
So the idea with Hear Me Out is just this: if you can get someone to listen to you, just for a second, they're going to hesitate at least long enough to hear what you have to say, and you can at least finish the conversation.

Originally, it was going to be that as long as you had a mark on it, you couldn't be attacked by them at all, but that would either require only working on NPCs, blocking player agency, or different rules for PCs and NPCs.

I guess... "When you've drawn someone out, as long as you have at least one mark, if they're an NPC they won't attack you, and if they're a PC, they'll need to hold steady to attack you." might work.

- Alex

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »
Maybe with PCs it plugs into the new Oath system, in some way, so they'd get XP at the end of a session by leaving you be.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
"When you've drawn someone out, if it's a PC, as long as you have one mark, they have the Oath "I swear not to harm {your name}". If it's an NPC, they won't attack you while you have a mark."?

Not sure I'm feeling that, but I'll think it over.
How's it sound?

- Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
Might work. This will all have to get shaken down with some play, of course. Without having seen DSO in play on its own yet, not to mention Oaths, I do admit I'm unsure how it would gel.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Yeah!
I think I'll test out the original, though I might even increase it to +2 armor to really disincentivise attacking at that moment.
But if it doesn't play out well, I'll consider some alternatives.

- Alex

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
This is awesome and would be my favorite character to play.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
This needs to be made into an official playbooks, you did a phenomenal job!

This is the exact kind of character, I have been itching to play. Varys or Little Finger from GoT.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
@trayburn: Those were the exact influences to a T! :)

- A