what is the hoarders gear?

• 9 Replies
what is the hoarders gear?
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:55:01 AM »
I look at all the other playbooks and they all have a gear list for weapons armor and what ever character objects that come with it. but I don't see that on the hoarder besides the topic of his/her hoard but that doesn't tell me what weapons or armor he/she has. does the hoarder just pick a random gun and 1-armour or does he have nothing but the pile of junk on his back?

Re: what is the hoarders gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
No, you use the hoards rules for going in and finding something useful. If you want a gun, you ought to have armor and armaments checked off on your hoard's contents. Otherwise, you can go into your hoard for 2 jingle and trade for weapons and armor.

The hoard is your gear... it's a hoard of stuff! Probably not on his back either, my Hoarder had an old Uhaul trailer filled with his hoard. It's way too much stuff to carry around on your lonesome. Watch an episode of hoarders and note how it's like a whole house filled with stuff in precarious piles.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:26:16 AM »
No, you use the hoards rules for going in and finding something useful. If you want a gun, you ought to have armor and armaments checked off on your hoard's contents.

The hoard is your gear.

thank you for helping clear that up but one more question what does it limit me to? can I have a chainsaw or MG or is it just simple weapons and armor.

Lukas

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »
You can have anything, the Hoarder's schtick is all about having access to stuff. Your hoard will want it back at some point, but it'll probably be there for you if you go looking.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
You tell the MC what you're looking for and roll. The MC has to give you something you'll find useful to the current situation. Often exactly what you asked for, maybe sometimes though, something else that you need and didn't realize.

The hoard WILL want it back.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
thanks for clearing this up for me. I just kept scrolling over Playbook like "so is the hoarder just totally passive? is he like the black market of AW?" which now that I think about it wouldn't be a bad idea for a PC/NPC.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
Haha, yeah, I like that. I think the Maestro D would make a good black market type character. The hoarder isn't exactly interested in giving items to other people on a permanent basis.

No playbook is entirely passive: after all they all get access to the basic moves. But yeah, the Hoarder's moves are all things that make him or her really good at... hoarding.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
Our Hoarder is running a black market. For one thing, his Hoard makes a distinction between "the good stuff", which it wants back, and the mundane shit which the Hoarder's allowed to trade in, in order to acquire more of "the good stuff". I mean, the Hoard's contents did get there somehow. (In our game, it got there through the collecting actions of the long series of people whom the Hoard has, one at a time, psychically attracted and made into Hoarders. The PC Hoarder is the latest in this line.)

Also, he's got Sticky Fingers, so he's happy to give items to people on what they think is a permanent basis.

He has gotten armaments out from the Hoard, but it hasn't worked out that well for him. I don't think he ever got to fire them more than once, and then they got taken away and he's spent the whole game trying to get them back because the Hoard WANTS THEM BACK. Which has been awesome.

I think the playbook is designed for the MC to constantly put pressure on the Hoarder to solve problems by getting stuff out of the Hoard, and thereby risking the Hoard's hunger, and then taking the stuff away so that the Hoarder is forced to dare more and more crazy things in order to get it back, to appease the Hoard...

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 03:04:25 AM »
thanks for all the great ideas. just posting here again cause I have another question about the hoarder and don't really feel like posting a new topic. about the brain goggles and other stuff  in the section "some interesting crap" it says the hoard  occasionally brings fourth crap such as etc. so 1 how does it do that? and 2 when does this happen will I just walk into the hoard and see a pain wave projector in my bags one day?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
The playbook as a move there, "you can go into your hoard and look for something useful." The trick is the MC decides what genuinely useful thing you get. The Some Interesting Crap is a suggestion of some possibly useful things if the situation is appropriate.

And I have found that the Hoarder is completely opposite from passive. Once they get a high enough hunger, if inevitably activates that beginning of session move, and suddenly the MC is dangling XP and the hoarder is getting into trouble just to get that extra XP.

In fact, I find the hoarder can be super active, in the sense that the hoarder now becomes a source of problems for the other players, since he/she is doing everything to get their "fix."