Generic Character Sheet/Playbook

• 3 Replies
Generic Character Sheet/Playbook
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »
The playbook structure of character sheets in Apocalypse World is awesome, but is limited in use to that specific character. As play goes on, and a character changes jobs multiple times, these playbooks can quickly become cumbersome to keep track of. Is there some sort of sheet, folio or playbook specifically designed for keeping tabs on long-term characters, with a wide selection of moves and crap?

I seem to remember an older version of the corebook having something like it, but I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Bonus points if it has an "Other" stat for the Macaluso.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:11:14 AM by Decivre »

Ebok

Re: Generic Character Sheet/Playbook
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:43:26 AM »
You can make one up, if you like. I build all of mine from scratch, or rather, an illustrator template. Typically, they shouldn't be dragging along too many moves from their past sheets when they change playbooks. That's the whole point. They are NOT who they were, they've become someone else now. Only the most important aspects stay.

Maybe the Malcuso realized himself within only one of his forms. Maybe he's adjusting to being HUMAN. maybe his other selves are now close allies, having the same thing done to them. Maybe they're enemies now, hunting the "escaped" portion of the collective down. Maybe they're all dead, and the lone survivor got into that car and just drove and drove.

You shouldn't need really complicated character sheets unless you're doing more with the game then it intended. Which is fine, and fun, thusly I make my own.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
You can make one up, if you like. I build all of mine from scratch, or rather, an illustrator template. Typically, they shouldn't be dragging along too many moves from their past sheets when they change playbooks. That's the whole point. They are NOT who they were, they've become someone else now. Only the most important aspects stay.
The books specifically says that a character "Keeps everything belonging to her intrinsic self . Her stats, including Hx, her moves, her improvements, all for sure. Many other things too." I make them leave much of their gear and such (obviously a guy leaving the hardholder playbook leaves someone else in charge of the hardhold), but it would make no sense for them to lose their moves. Those are the things they have gotten out of a life of brutality and survival in the wastes... the ONLY things the wastes can't take away from them without taking their lives first.

Maybe the Malcuso realized himself within only one of his forms. Maybe he's adjusting to being HUMAN. maybe his other selves are now close allies, having the same thing done to them. Maybe they're enemies now, hunting the "escaped" portion of the collective down. Maybe they're all dead, and the lone survivor got into that car and just drove and drove.
Actually, the Macaluso isn't that far ahead yet, I'm just planning for the future. He looks up to the player with the longest-running character, so I could see going this far as a plan for him.

You shouldn't need really complicated character sheets unless you're doing more with the game then it intended. Which is fine, and fun, thusly I make my own.
I don't really agree with you on this. The player I want this sheet for has played this character for quite some time, and is the only character that hasn't had to retire, or died in the struggles of the game. His character has become an interesting and profound part of the setting, like a post-apocalyptic Conan. Part of what makes him interesting is his transition from stage of life to stage of life, and how it profoundly changes who he is, but is also shaped by previous actions (he wouldn't have maintained his hardhold so well if he didn't start out as a Gunlugger, but he did so much between those two periods of time).

I truly hope that this is something that Apocalypse World was made for doing. Because it's probably one of the coolest aspects of the game.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
Holy crap, I just noticed something on the very page where I brought up that quote in my last post:

"The player keeps her old character playbook for reference, and transfers her character into a new playbook, or else to the expanded character sheet (at apocalypse-world.com )."

Does anyone have a copy of this expanded character sheet? I can't find it anywhere!