Moves for barter and debt

• 4 Replies
Moves for barter and debt
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
I've put together a handful of moves for when your PCs are short of funds, and just have to scrape up some jingle. I could really use some feedback!

When you offer promises instead of payment, roll +hot: On a 10+, they're down with it, you gain 1-debt for each point of barter you're short, and you're on your merry way. On a 7-9, same thing, only they want something more: a favor, a little something something, or a bigger debt than the value you're receiving. On a miss, no dice, and you've pissed them off.

When somebody owes you, you are always considered to have leverage when you manipulate them, and you may choose to roll +debt against them instead of +hot.

When you're in debt, at the start of each session roll +debt (if you owe more than one person then just roll the highest, you deadbeat). On a 10+, they're looking for the full value, right now, and they'll do whatever they can to extract it from you. On a 7-9, they're willing to let it slide for a bit longer, but they're going to want something for their trouble: a favor, a little something something, or maybe a down payment. On a miss, they've got other things on their mind, but they'll get around to you eventually.

You know I'm good for it: (Operator playbook move) whenever you offer promises instead of payment, you always succeed as though you had rolled a 10+. If you attempt to use this move on somebody you already owe a debt, you are acting under fire.

Re: Moves for barter and debt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »
Looks cool.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
I dig it. I'd add to "When you're in debt..." a bit about what a failure means when you owe other PCs. I'd probably have a weak/strong hit be like a successful Manipulate, to "do [something the creditor wants done] or pay up." Basically like 7-9, but with the same mechanical teeth as persuasion. Alternately you could offer the creditor forwards to collect. Or both, as two options.

Also, with "When you offer promises..." do you intend to let stat-sub moves like Easy to Trust or Charismatic apply? Is this just a modified Manipulate, with the leverage being "you will have +debt on me"? I think I would, but that's just my opinion.

I really like the Operator move!

Radan

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »
I've put together a handful of moves for when your PCs are short of funds, and just have to scrape up some jingle. I could really use some feedback!

When you offer promises instead of payment, roll +hot: On a 10+, they're down with it, you gain 1-debt for each point of barter you're short, and you're on your merry way. On a 7-9, same thing, only they want something more: a favor, a little something something, or a bigger debt than the value you're receiving. On a miss, no dice, and you've pissed them off.

When somebody owes you, you are always considered to have leverage when you manipulate them, and you may choose to roll +debt against them instead of +hot.

When you're in debt, at the start of each session roll +debt (if you owe more than one person then just roll the highest, you deadbeat). On a 10+, they're looking for the full value, right now, and they'll do whatever they can to extract it from you. On a 7-9, they're willing to let it slide for a bit longer, but they're going to want something for their trouble: a favor, a little something something, or maybe a down payment. On a miss, they've got other things on their mind, but they'll get around to you eventually.

You know I'm good for it: (Operator playbook move) whenever you offer promises instead of payment, you always succeed as though you had rolled a 10+. If you attempt to use this move on somebody you already owe a debt, you are acting under fire.

The last mentioned move is not in thhe operator playbook. What meaning is hidden (at least foor me) under your note...?
Preparing "RESOURCE RESUPPLY RUN - SETTING SCENARIOs"! - therefore QUESTIONS FOR BARTERs, GIGs etc.

Munin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
I think Nick's intention was that that custom move would be available to Operators in his game, that's all.