L5R Hack (New Attempt)

• 1 Replies
L5R Hack (New Attempt)
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
Hello everyone, it is my first topic in this form. Even though I had never had the chance to play AP,  I had great fun with Dungeon World and tremulus; even though I have some significant problems with overall system.
One of my most enjoyable game world is Legend of the Five Rings, and I feel it is very hack-able with AP. While I spotted couple of very cool hacks; they feel more like carbon copies of AP with L5R skin on it. I also wanted to base my game more to L5Rs core philosophy as well as Eastern values that it holds. To this end I keep the Elements as they are stated, and potentially changed AP core elements to mimic both Combat, Social and Skill modifiers of what these elements provide. I have still have some doubts but I hope you will find some interest in it and help me improve it a little by little.
Another think that might be difficult to explain is why characteristic are also connected to elements. Maybe a little stereotypical but I want to keep body and mind the same way. A samurai is what it seems, its personality is very connected to its physical attitude. As an example Earth Element Atribute holds both Physical Toughness as well as Mental; also some kind of stability of that person (like good family values, strong friendships). These can be manupulated with MC.

ELEMENTS

Wind :
Personality Traits  Open Minded and Carefree
Combat Traits : Avoid Danger/ Use Bow
Social Traits : Read People/ Bribe - Seduce People
Skill Traits : Artisan

Earth
Personality Tough, Stable
Combat Traits : Protect Someone, Extra Hit points
Social Traits : Show Courage, Don't lose Glory *

Fire
Personality Clever, Passionate, Agile
Combat Traits : Attack with Melee
Social Traits : Remember
Skill Traits : Lore, Medicine

Water
Personality Adaptable, Strong
Combat Trait : Find weakness
Social Traits  : Observe\Investigate
Skill Traits : Hunt, Battle

Void
Personality Wise, Empathetic
Combat Trait : Focus
Social Trait : Call ancestor Guidance
Skill Traits : Meditate

I will continue on doing this, and hopefully it will spread a little bit more.

Re: L5R Hack (New Attempt)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »
Let's start by explaining these fundamentals of this hack. In L5R you are playing a noble samurai; with various Martial Art training and  strong traditional values. What differs between a samurai
from a European knight (I see more similarities as I read and compare) is their commitment to their values with their life. Bellow I have tried to create these values and explain their effects in
game-play. While many of these Values are might not seem dangerous enough (except health); drooping them to 0 should have major impact on the character.

All characters contain 4 values that they have to maintain:
  • Koku: Starts at 5 +Wind. This is the basically Barter in AW. Another name could be Resource.
  • Health: Starts at 5 +Earth. This is more like Hit Points in Dungeon World.
  • Reputation : Starts at 5 +Fire. This will be used in interacting with NPC. It is the value that people put on you.
  • Honor: Starts at 5 +Water. It is probably the most complicated thing in any RPG. According to L5R, it is the value that you put on yourself; and I want to keep it like that.

During game play,  PCs will gain and lose these values.
  • Lose Koku when you trade, bribe and gamble. Gain it by same skills etc.... Everything above this should go to your lord. On 0 you might start to lose other values (starving
    health, receiving money from your Lord  honor and Reputation.)
  • Lose Health when you receive wound, poisoned, failed in Combat. Gain them back by medical help, or time (Time can make it worse). In 0 you are dying.
  • Lose Reputation when you fail on your duty, harm someone (Innocent or Noble). On 0 or below, someone is looking to kill you, it might just be another player.
  • Lose Honor when you fail something you can easily do, being shamed or shaming your lord and family. Recover by improving yourself, self sacrifice and gaining Reputation
    On 0 there is no reason to live.

Next time I will delve into basic moves, and their connection to 5 rings. They should clear things up. Please give feedback if you find it interesting,