Monster Force Terra

• 26 Replies
Monster Force Terra
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »
An idea I've been playing around with for a few years, playing giant monsters who battle it out in human cities around the world but might just be saving it in the process, took a big leap forward today. I've begun a very basic AW hack with some stripped down rules: there's still a lot more to be done, but see what you think.

Monster Force Terra pdf.

Re: Monster Force Terra
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
Love it!

Had the same kind of idea when reading through Dungeon World but your work carries the mere idea through. Excellent work. Just wow. (And more monsters.)
Our blog about gaming - Guild Redemund's Blog - Blog for Gaming in various forms (and stuff)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
The Third Draft of Monster Force Terra is now up: following a quick playtest at Indiecon, I decided to remodel the rage triggers.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »
Fourth Draft now up, with 12 monster playbooks in total, some new rules and added MC guidance.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
For crying out loud! I promised my playing group we would be playing this next Wednesday and finish of the night with a little King of Tokio. Now I cannot find the fourth draft!
Our blog about gaming - Guild Redemund's Blog - Blog for Gaming in various forms (and stuff)

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
My bad i was rearranging things on the Groundhoggoth community: here's a direct link to the Fourth Draft on Google drive.

As If

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
Awesome idea.  I'm now thinking about a hack of your hack in which the monsters aren't heroes (except to themselves), and the main enemy is the human world.  King Kong, or Cloverfield, for instance.  Players vs the MC's fronts (which are mostly human combatants) and someone's probably gonna get killed, or driven back to their lair to await the sequel.  (ETA: Or PvP - monsters vs humans - with the MC functioning as Referee.)

Cloverfield is a Lizard (nervous, territorial, amphibious), and the Parasites are a Swarm (speedy, spread out, toxic).  But they are not working together, their goals are entirely self-centered (at the beginning of the movie the big monster shakes off a bunch of parasites which had been burrowing into its skin, thus freeing them to ravage the city of New York, and after that scene they pay no attention to each other at all).

FYI: The first RPG I ever bought and GMd was "Monsters! Monsters!".  :-)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:42:36 PM by As If »

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »
Ooh, nice idea! I keep thinking about going back to MFT and fleshing it out with more content to support deeper, richer play but I never quite seem to get around to it. :-(

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »
To be fair I never though that MFT would be something else than what As If said. I'll most likely run it as such anyway.

edit: Also I can make a "most likely" prediction of our game: RAW reads "If you are killed, you can save or destroy one other thing: narrate how you do so, that narration cannot be overturned by any other narration, action or moves during this session." I can totally see someone destroying the world as their dying action... :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:01:14 AM by doc_cthulhu »

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »
Is there any other way to heal damage than Face Defeat? Can't find any.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Yes, on every playbook there is a statement about what that Monster wants:
  • It rages when denied what it wants
  • It heals 1 damage when it gets what it wants

Follow the 'cat & mouse' advice to keep the Monsters in a cycle of raging, taking harm, healing, raging again, etc.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
Ah. Somehow missed the healing when getting what it wants. Thanks!

As If

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
So I laid up MFT v4 as a two-column 9-page PDF, just to save toner and paper...

http://asifproductions.com/sites/default/files/Monster%20Force%20Terra%20version%204.pdf

I may be a dork, but I'm a CHEAP dork!

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:25 AM »
Sweet!