Campaign fronts... am i doing this right?

• 1 Replies
Campaign fronts... am i doing this right?
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
so, i am new to dungeon world (but not to the apocalypse engine... there i have some experience and an authoritative resource to draw upon) and i am GMing. i am working on a set of campaign fronts. here is what i have thus far

The Aboleth slavers [Instinct: to rule over others]
The advance guard of the Aboleths, these leviathans bring with them the bulk of he Aboleth's servants. their continuing mission, to explore new places, t seek out new forms of life and enslave them. with the death of the elven mage (I'll come up with his name later) and the breakdown of his wards, they have breached the surface and descend upon the lighted world.

Portents
The Aboleth discover a passage
their minions are sent through
they establish a foohold
villages go missing
their army is asembled
they attack the kingdom fom the sunken city

end game: Tyranny (aboleths dominate all other life.

The Frost King instinct: to advance his subjects
an ascendant Frost giant, the frost king seeks to destroy the kingdom  and expand the range of his kin and followers. with the fall of the elven mage, he now has the tools to do just that. the wizards greatest gift to the elven community and human kingdom, fornost, could be corrupted to send the kingdom and elven community into winter unending

Portents
The king discvers fornost
the giants range farther south
his castle is completed
the first ward collapses
he sends his forces against the elves
the second ward  is broken
winter descends
the giants attack in earnest

endgame: destruction (he razes the kingdom)

what is the next step? also is this enough fronts? any other constructive criticism?

Re: Campaign fronts... am i doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »
Wow, that's TWO campaign fronts, with one danger each, right?
Maybe there are too many portents, but they 're all soo evocative...
If you can manage them all, it's ok.
My only suggestion is that each portent (as per the DW guide) should be something that the PC could stop, or hamper. If not, the portent is in fact something that just happens.
At least, try to imagine the interaction between PCs and the portents.

Next step is creating your stakes questions. What did you NOT decide yet? Put the answers in the hands of the game.