A new Playbook, The Broken

• 4 Replies
A new Playbook, The Broken
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
so, i decided to try out the "old out-of-practice pro" archetype, which i like playing and felt there was room for in MOTW. I hope everyone like it, and P.E.A.C.H.ing would be nice.

here's the linkhttps://docs.google.com/a/fourriverscharter.org/document/d/1uJc7QeUOT0mK84AFCFYDQnZtbXFuGNVR2a_UvCySKp0/edit

Re: A new Playbook, The Broken
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »
Looks cool.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
Looks cool.
I don't suppose you could give me some feedback, (oh, that sounds very passive-aggressive. I in no way mean it like that, this was a legitimate and hopeful request) this is my first MOTW homebrew. i really like the game and would like to make this class (playbook) as good as it can be. also, how do i get it in playbook format?

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
Looks cool.
I don't suppose you could give me some feedback, (oh, that sounds very passive-aggressive. I in no way mean it like that, this was a legitimate and hopeful request) this is my first MOTW homebrew. i really like the game and would like to make this class (playbook) as good as it can be. also, how do i get it in playbook format?

I wasn't sure if you wanted feedback, but I'm happy to provide it if you do.

- The ratings lines are somewhat on the high side; given that you only have two move picks, I guess there's an implicit +1 to ratings in there? However, the line with three +2s is notably better than any other choice so I'd suggest dropping one of them to just +1.
- I love the old dogs/new tricks move, that's a good way to emphasise how good the hunter is
- For knowledge of old, I'd suggest something more evocative than a +1 bonus. Maybe add some new things that they can ask, like "Tell me something I learned the last time I fought one of these".
- I'd add a couple more moves that bring the Broken's past into play. Perhaps the ability to call on favours from people they've saved or hunters they've worked with?
- There should be something about why they retired and why they've let themselves be pulled back in. Those could be extra things to decide at the beginning, like the Chosen picks their fate. I know some of these might come up in the history section, but having them up front will focus the character some more.

Oh, and you can find the template on my website's files section: https://sites.google.com/site/gamesteratlarge/home/monster_of_the_week_files/Monster%20of%20the%20Week%20hunter%20playbook%20template.ott?attredirects=0&d=1.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I quite liked what LordOfCrumpets had done so I tinkered a little with the playbook — added three moves and an unorthodox advanced improvement. Updated it for 2nd edition and made it into a pdf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p83erpr47sdk7u3/motw-the_broken_playbook.pdf?dl=0