Extending Campaigns

• 5 Replies

Max

Extending Campaigns
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »
I'm sure I asked this before but I can't locate my past threads

Have you done anything to prolong longevity of a character's playing life?

I think I read somewhere that one character can hit 10th level after 20 adventures, and that seems a bit short for my tastes.

Other than taking another class or apprentice, would you say doubling the required xp to level up is the easiest way to go?

Scrape

Re: Extending Campaigns
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
Earned xp does begin to taper off, because you earn it on a miss and high-level PCs miss their rolls less often. Doubling it seems harsh, but you could cap xp per session. You could also play around with less end-of-session xp.

There was talk of a high-level supplement, to me that makes sense. At level 10, adventurers are a Big Deal and probably are handling statesmen-level stiff and not dungeon delving. That's the usual progression, anywyay.

Max

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
There was talk of a high-level supplement, to me that makes sense. At level 10, adventurers are a Big Deal and probably are handling statesmen-level stiff and not dungeon delving. That's the usual progression, anywyay.

The perfect solution

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »
We use the following house rule and it slows things down a bit.

No XP on a 6-; instead you earn a "karma point". These points may be spent to re-roll the dice (of course you can't use the point you just earned to re-roll that roll).

We just use End of Session and Bonds XP awards.

Scrape

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »
We use the following house rule and it slows things down a bit.

No XP on a 6-; instead you earn a "karma point". These points may be spent to re-roll the dice (of course you can't use the point you just earned to re-roll that roll).

We just use End of Session and Bonds XP awards.

That's a really neat idea. I love xp-on-a-miss because it softens the blow of failure, but it does lead to unpredictable levelling. Your houserule circumvents that nicely. I think I would give a +1forward for a karma instead of a full reroll, but it's a neat system.

noofy

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
Our original 'camping at the beach' campaign from the good ol' days levelled the characters pretty fast (with the old Hx system), but as we've switched to the current ruleset the characters have attained prestige level status and shifted into compendium class play. This works admirably to circumnavigate the delving mindset and also gives access to some pretty cool broadscale moves that shift the situation in nicely satisfying meta-plot ways. Tonks has assumed lordship over Dingledale as a wannabe Duke of Wizardry that often sticks his foot in owlbear poo, whilst Brancino runs the local thieves guild with an iron codpiece.

We have done a few things to alleviate the 'fast levelling' phenomenon. Players level at their current level X 2 XP. (They were above level 7 anyways)
The key 'achievement' points after attaining compendium classes for XP are now:
*Did we effect some significant and important change to the world?
*Did we overcome a Nemesis?
*Did we amass a hoard of treasure or uncover a unique and potent magical item?

The second has been a constant in our games for some time. Similar to Reno, Xp are a resource currency in the game, so players can choose to hoard them in order to level or they can spend them after a roll to add an extra d6 move die (or damage die) per point. The player takes the best 2 results for their move roll.

Since I am fond of making a pretty damn hard move when given a golden opportunity, XP are often spent in this manner (to influence rolls to ensure success). Its worked admirably so far.