Form Fillable Playbooks

• 5 Replies
Form Fillable Playbooks
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
Has anyone been able to find a set of form-fillable playbooks, or is anyone currently working on them? I'm running a Skype Apoc World game with some friends and think it would be mighty handy to have.

Heck! If no one does but can tell me what program I need to make my own, I would be down with doing it myself (I think...)

Thanks for your help!

Reax

Re: Form Fillable Playbooks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I do make my own form-fillable playbooks for my Skype-games, the downside is that I dont know of any program beside Adobe Acrobat (the costly version.. use that to make em fillable too) that can atcully save the filled forms.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
I use pdf xchange viewer to fill in fillable pdfs and save them, its a great program, but i can't seem to get it to create fields. Guess I'll look into Acrobat for this then. I could definately get into using more fillables so it might be worth it for me.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Foxit Reader is another great program for reading and saving form fillable pdfs.  I haven't used it to create sheets, however.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:43:57 AM »
I've had a lot of luck using Inkscape both to make custom playbooks (I made sheets modeled after John Harper's for running The Sprawl). You can use it to simply "fill" a PDF as though it were a form, too. Unfortunately it does not support multiple pages as a single document. If you want a multi-page sheet it has to be multiple files edited as separate images/pages. To do things the standard Adobe way without buying Adobe's software... I PDF Edit works though it is somewhat clunky and in my personal experience kind of unstable. I don't recommend it for anything more complex than adding fillable-form boxes to things, and I remember one of either the Linux of Windows versions was missing a ton of features compared to the other version.

If you're willing to use some kind of sharable and/or web-based document format other than PDFs ... going with SVG instead of PDF lets you get a bit fancier with Inkscape. I've also heard that Scribus makes easy-to-use forms.

There's also always the Google-Doc (or similar) method! I'd honestly recommend a more Internet-friendly approach as opposed to a straight-up digital version of the standard playbooks, whether or not you make your own forms.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:36:10 AM »
I made this app a while a ago for playing *World games online ... it's pretty rough, but it does work.

http://isaacwilliams.net/sheetmaker/#kzcjcw/page/0

It basically lets you upload a background image, then place text fields and checkboxes. Then it'll keep any changes you make at that URL. Also nice, because the MC can see your sheet update without having to email PDFs around.

I'm not entirely sure I would recommend using it in the rough state it's in, but let me know if you do.