Pulp

• 3 Replies

Sen

Pulp
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
Hey, just wondering if anyone's done anything with a Pulp style hack? In the vein of The Rocketeer, Crimson Skies etc... even Spirit of the Century.

I was thinking of mushing DW with some of the Dungeon Planet stuff and reflavouring it but if people have a better idea I'm all ears... anyone?

Sen

Re: Pulp
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
So I was having a bit of a think and I figure I'll use the Dungeon World attribute system, with some moves taken from Apocalypse World and some from Dungeon World along with some of my own to fill in the gaps.

The archetypes I plan on including are as follows:

The Ace Pilot (I think I'll be borrowing a lot from the AW Driver)

The Intrepid Reporter

The Scientist/Gadgeteer (Borrowing almost all of Dungeon World's Technician)

The Hulk (Borrowing from DW's Fighter)

The Hardboiled Detective

The Femme Fatale (Possibly borrowing from AW's Skinner)

The Masked Avenger

The Big Game Hunter

The Bold Explorer

If anyone has any ideas for moves etc for any of these It'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, could a moderator please move this thread into the Hacks in Progress section? I don't want to annoy anyone by having it in the wrong place.

Sen

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »
Adding two more Archetypes/Classes (The (Ex)Soldier and The Occultist) and provisionally breaking them all up into groups for design/thematic purposes...

Group I

The Bold Explorer (Generates Locations)

The Strongman (Physical Capability)

The Intrepid Reporter (Uncovers Mysteries)

Group II

The Ace Pilot (High Action)

The Big Game Hunter (Low Action)

Group III

The Hardboiled Detective (Complicates but solves Mysteries)

The Femme Fatale (Complicates Everything)

The Masked Avenger (Broken. About Principles)

Group IV

The Soldier (Everyman. Has seen all this before...)

The Scientist (Weird Science)

The Occultist (Cthulu and Horror. Dooms himself and those around him.)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Just some thoughts:

How about The Showstopper, rather than The Strongman? Who's whole thing is being super-human, think early Superman. They could have moves to do with super-human strength, but they might also go for speed, or toughness, or even hearing. However, besides all that they'd be all about being impressive, they don't just catch a falling damsel, they do it and land perfectly. They can give rousing speeches too I imagine. Their fatal flaw might be difficulty outside the use of their physical might. They'd have to take moves from some other class to be useful outside immediate danger.

I love The Masked Avenger. They should get a bonus when fighting the thing they became an Avenger for, and the player should be encouraged to twist the character's world view so they can use it as much as possible. Began your career fighting gangster? Well... the government are an awful lot like gangsters, if you're a crazy man in a mask.

How about The Agent? Ordinary human, but used to the weird things. Part of an expansive organisation, with just enough back-up to get break even compared to the other characters. A big user of the move Retroactively Have Made a Plan, as in, they roll to see if other agents have been put in place, or if they knew the Yellow Oni Gang was going to be here. Early James Bond I guess. Or CIA. Has a sex move?