Looking for Playbook Ideas...

• 2 Replies
Looking for Playbook Ideas...
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Having committed myself to completing 23 creative projects by the end of the year, I thought it might be cool to do some custom playsets as part of that. Since MotW is currently the version of the Apocalypse Engine I'm most familiar with, that's probably what most of my playsets will be for. I have a few ideas in mind for MotW playsets, and there were a bunch of potential playbook pitches made in an older post, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions folks might have.

Here are the ideas I've got so far:

The Magical Girl: An MotW twist on this class of anime heroine. Given the implied tone of MotW this would probably be more in the style of Puella Magi Madoka Magica than the more traditional examples.
The Sole Survivor: The Sole Survivor and her friends were hunted by some kind of supernatural terror, and only she made it out alive. She came out of the experience hardened, and maybe just a little unhinged. Think Ash from Evil Dead, or the 'Final Girl' of any horror movie.
The Teen Detective: Based on the likes of Brick or Veronica Mars, the Teen Detective is a meddling kid of the hard-boiled variety.
The Tomb Raider: A modern day Indiana Jones, the Tomb Raider tracks down ancient and powerful artifacts and keeps them out of the wrong hands.
The Writer: Everybody wonders where the Writer gets his inspiration from, but none of them would suspect the truth: he's actually living it! Think Richard Castle, if he wound up following a monster hunter rather than a homicide detective.

Re: Looking for Playbook Ideas...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
They all look like good concepts to me.

I've thought about a take on a horror writer, although my idea was to include a fair salting of The Dark Half, too.

Re: Looking for Playbook Ideas...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
They all look like good concepts to me.

I've thought about a take on a horror writer, although my idea was to include a fair salting of The Dark Half, too.

Haven't read The Dark Half, but now that I'm working on the playbook, I find myself wondering whether to put a more spooky slant on the Writer, like Chuck from Supernatural.