Right To Dream - Game Recommendation?

• 5 Replies
Right To Dream - Game Recommendation?
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
I feel like there are a lot of indie games out there these days that really facilitate Story Now play (AW, Shock:, Swords without Masters, etc.). I wondered if anyone could recommend a game that really facilitates Right to Dream in a coherent and low points-of-contact way. Ideally something indie, but not required.

My group's been playing GURPS and we will probably explore Story Now some more, but I kind of wonder what else is being done in a similar space. I guess it would help to know that we seem to like exploring System the least and Setting, Situation or Color the most.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I felt like the people who'd read this forum would be most likely to know the jargon I'm using and know of indie games that I haven't seen (I don't have wide exposure).

Re: Right To Dream - Game Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
I am wondering this too, actually.

I myself am all about the Story Now -- I was avoiding GM'ing for about 15 years because of the awful sinking feeling that I ought to plan a story out first, or else feel guilty that I was half-assedly "making things up as I went along", so Apocalypse World came as a revelation accompanied by angelic trumpets; suddenly I wanted to GM a game again.

But I've been talking to other friends who like prepared storylines and deep immersion, who dislike players having to leave Actor stance. I kind of want to offer them the revelatory "oh my god, someone is making a system that actually AFFORDs what I want to do and has thought through the politics and social dynamics and narrative esthetics!" experience I'm having. Is there anything for them in the 21st century indie game revolution? Or is the idea that they should already be well served enough by GURPS or whatever?

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:04:53 AM »
So I guess that's a no, then. :-)

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
After extensively browsing lumpley.com, I have the feeling that the consensus local answer to my and benhamill's question is actually "freeform".

Thoughts? :-)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:23 AM »
...aha! And perhaps also, that asking the question here is analogous to going to a forum where pet pig fanciers discuss the care, grooming, and showing of their beloved porcine companions, and asking for recommendations of a good BBQ joint...  :-)

OK I'll stop now I promise!

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
That's not it, no. We all love barbecue too.

The prob is, there's no such thing as a game that "facilitates Story Now play" or "facilitates Right to Dream play." Every game does something specific instead.

The answer to "I want to give my friends a revelation" is "good luck!"

-Vincent