Role Playing and Psychotherapy and AW

• 0 Replies
Role Playing and Psychotherapy and AW
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »
I'm not quite sure where this is going though I look forward to the journey.

I recently discovered AW through DW and I am dumbstruck by the system's ability to provide a framework for the storytelling that is the heart of it all for me. I started years ago with (A)D&D and Top Secret and Traveller then discovered more pure RP (versus stats and advancement and rules laden RP) in the form of MUSHes then fell out of the habit of RPGs altogether. Fast forward some years and now I am a Jungian-oriented psychotherapist (though not an analyst) who went to a school that holds Joseph Campbell's personal library and is imbued with myth and archetype and story. Something just smacked me in the side of the head as I have (re)read DW and more primally AW regarding the way I do therapy and how I can structure my client sessions (fronts, perhaps) and interventions (moves, perhaps). The questions I ask are often "What are you thinking?" and "What are you feeling?" versus "Now what do you do?" though I see the validity of the latter question in my practice. Clients sometimes  ask *me* "Now what do I do?" and they usually have the answer.

My mind is being blown in a good way and I have not even had a chance to see or experience the system in action.

My question is: "How has AW manifested in your life?"