Real Bone Dice for the Apocalypse & tremulus

• 5 Replies
Real Bone Dice for the Apocalypse & tremulus
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
Long story short, Black Bear Haversack Trading Post, based in Granite City, Illinois, seems to be the best option. They seem popular among Civil War reenactors and at Ren Fairs. They seem legit. They sell dice like the ones I saw on eBay and stained ones with blue and red pips. Ten of the first link, as in five pairs, (as that's what they're sold by,) cost $9.45 before shipping and tax, around what the eBay set of ten cost.
So I'm thinking about going with Black Bear Haversack, but then I get paranoid. Caveat emptor, and all. I'd feel a little better if I could pay with PayPal instead of giving them my credit card info diectly. I'm used to PayPal. Then I decided to ask you guys. What do you think? Any Illinois natives or customers of this company who can vouch for them? If they seem OK, which dice do you guys think look best? If anyone here frequents Reality Blurs, you'll see I'm asking there too.

Re: Real Bone Dice for the Apocalypse & tremulus
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
Updating with a reply since I can't find an edit link. Seems legit. Decent SSL cert for a small business and the checkout uses HTTPS. Good to have friends who are savvier than me.
I'm gonna get the non-stained ones because they look like better dice and stain them myself. These seem like the best instructions to me. I think you want pure carnauba wax and that the Enkaustikos flakes sold by Dick Blick fit the bill. I've been to Dick Blick, ordered from them online, and have complete trust in them. Pure carnauba is hard, hard as concrete; buy a double boiler exclusively for its use. I mean, sure it's non-toxic, but why gunk up your prized double boiler? The flakes should melt best; it takes a lot of heat to melt carnauba. Its melting point is 187°–190° F (86°–88° C). It just occurred to me how many hoops I'm willing to jump through for bone dice... Geez- I'm kind of a freak.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
Nice! I've been on the prowl for some nice bone dice! I'll probably pick up the ones that are stained since I am a cheapskate so I'll comment in the future as to their quality.

It just occurred to me how many hoops I'm willing to jump through for bone dice... Geez- I'm kind of a freak.

HAHAHA!! Don't worry, I feel like you are in good company!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
razorwise over at Reality Blurs is curious about the bone dice. I figured I'd post my response on both boards.
I've been holding out. They're not gonna get cheaper and it's still gonna be a while before I get a job. I'd feel I could spare the money if not for the three Kickstarters I jumped on: Code Monkey Save World for $35, Golden Sky Stories for $115, and OVA Revised for $15. They were too good to pass up. I'll probably spring for the dice when tremulus ships.
Later I think I'll try to make a dice bag based on the bags containing the other three victims tongues from Corpse Party. They're bloodstained hemp bags. Sachiko's bag's design doesn't work as well as the drawstring ones, I think. Be warned, there are major spoilers, but you can see here. I just think that'd be a KVLT dice bag for bone dice.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
I was a little indecisive at first - do I really need another set of dice?

But I checked the link. If those things look like the picture, I think I'll be quite happy with my purchase. A tres cool find.

Slightly off-topic, but did you check out the agate dice from the same company? Dem's sexy dice. A handful of those would be some mighty fine barter in AW, in-character.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
http://artisandice.com/ has fantastic dice made out of all kinds of rare wood.

I like these especially: http://artisandice.com/store/custom-dice/irish-bog-oak/

They have been soaking in peat bogs in Ireland for 4000-6000 years and are now black as death the whole way through. Very dark and foreboding looking, if expensive. I personally went with the Wenge wood as it is also very dark and much cheaper. Extremely happy with my purchase.