Setting book to use?

• 2 Replies
Setting book to use?
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Hey all! Loving reading the Dungeon World RPG and i have my first game (i'm the DM) tonight and i am pretty excited to run Within the Devil's Reach to start off my campaign.

I have some rough ideas on where I want to go with it and using the Devils reach to kick start will definitely help but i had a question.

Is there either a general, or perhaps a line or setting books that you would recommend. I'd consider using a Paizo Adventure Path (despite Dungeon Worlds teaching i am still a person of structure! Need some base information of the world my players will be in)

I hear barebones fantasy Keranak setting book is quite good... would appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you!

Re: Setting book to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
There is a bunch to use. Any of the Adventure paths from Pathfinder work well and are easy to covert, so is most modules and dungeon crawls.

I would also suggest looking into settings and then kinda building your own meta plot around the setting such as;

Dark Sun

Ravenloft

Red Steel

Eberron

You can even have some generic plot line and throw in a bunch of mini dungeons until you get your groove. For example; bad guy is looking for items of power to take over the universe. As your players are trying to stop him or find the items before he does or whatever every town you enter can have a lil mini plot. Like this;

Town One: Dead won't stay dead, zombie invasion must help the town and find the source od the zombies.

Forest Path: Lost children, must find their parents or what happened to the caravan they were traveling with.

World of Warcraft quest: In town, something happens either someone you needed help from is poisoned and you most got find these items and those items etc.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Re: Setting book to use?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
hey thanks that is a really good start. I am realizing my strenghts and weaknesses. as a DM i am pretty good at improving immediate scenes what they look like, NPC's on the fly not bad and trying to make scenes cinematic.

Where i suck is trying to think of a cool exciting "front" i guess it would be for my adventurers!

GAH

I am thinkin i am going to start setting up the obsidian portal for the campaign i just started (by the way the first play session we did was a HUGE hit the players freaked out and are bugging me to play ASAP)