Why does this make me think of Apocalypse World?

• 3 Replies
Why does this make me think of Apocalypse World?
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:05:14 AM »
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise, Leon. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

I mean: You're not helping! Why is that, Leon?

Suna

Re: Why does this make me think of Apocalypse World?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:14:56 AM »
They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response. Shall we continue?
"The Moving Finger writes: and, having writ, /Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit /Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, /Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

--Omar Khayyam, Rubaiyat

noofy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
Um, Yeah.
That was my primary impulse to write the Synthetic playbook. That opening scene from Bladerunner and the board game android.
I really like the idea of the expiry date being a threat with a countdown, so maybe applying the test could be a move for another playbook? I mean we have the Savvyhead and the Maestro, but what about a really boffin - type playbook, the scientist or the researcher or something along those lines?

Oh, and Leon is so cool, he has to exist in Apoc World!

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:23 AM »
Yeah somewhere between the savvyhead, maestro, and the angel is some sort of researcher.  Angel in my first game spent a lot of time trying to figure out the super nasty mold which was killing people. Spent more time in that pursuit than in treatment of injuries and such. Savvyhead could be tweaked to be more of a bio-researcher ( I Am Legend? ) with a few angel moves so maybe a new playbook isn't strictly necessary to get pretty close to that.