The Regiment // Enemy Unknown

• 4 Replies
The Regiment // Enemy Unknown
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:48:22 AM »
So after this summer's initial test on the Regiment rules set I decided to try out something a little different. Next Monday I'll be running a mission that takes place "Now" and deals with one of the first contacts with hostile alien lifeforms.

I posted about this on the Google+ community to get ideas and advices (with quite good results I might add) but since most of my players visit it more often than this forum I think I should open a discussion here too.

The plan for the session is quite simple in structure. The players have been sent to wipe out an enemy scout vehicle. The mission begins with shooting down the UFO with the aerial combat determining how to Engage the site. At this point it just means that either they will shoot down the UFO or it will drop them. In any case the squad will encounter the aliens.

As we have had some success with scenarios making a linked campaign I'm considering this to be "the 1st mission". Other may follow or not. Depending on how the action turns out and how the players liked the whole thing. The whole session is heavily influenced by XCOM PC-game series but most likely I will use it only as inspirational material so my players cannot relay on their OOC information.

All comments and ideas are more that welcome!
Our blog about gaming - Guild Redemund's Blog - Blog for Gaming in various forms (and stuff)

Re: The Regiment // Enemy Unknown
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
This is what I have come up (heavily influenced by starting mission of the Colonial Marines):

THE REGIMENT
// CRIMSON STRIKE
// ALPHA MISSION

BRIEFING

Overview
About a month ago first confirmed alien contact happened at Siberia, Russia. Soon we had multiple hostiles moving all around to globe so a global task force was established to take down the threat. The strike force code named “Crimson Strike” works to prevent the extraterrestrial threat of dangering the lives of civilians.

The Mission
Your squad has been selected to take down one of the enemy’s scout ships. Bring it down and secure the perimeter by force.

Eliminate hostile threats and recover all possible intel on this alien threat.

This mission is tagged as CRIMSON level security threat, highest priority. Intel on the area, hostiles and their craft are minimal. You Officer will have all available intel on a datapad.

+INTEL bonus: You have access to global data network for local maps.

Rendezvous at the extract point only when extraterrestrial threats have been eliminated.

Assets
(1) SR-77H Troop transport aircraft (TTA)
(1) Squad from platoon

+MOBILITY bonus: Aerial insertion of squad via SR-77H dropship at location of your choosing (see terrain map). Plus aerial extraction on your signal.
Our blog about gaming - Guild Redemund's Blog - Blog for Gaming in various forms (and stuff)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
Added the sniper from 2.1 and now he needs a death move. Suggestions?

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
The first version of this hack can be downloaded HERE.

All comments are criticism come in handy. This is not as much a hack as it is a different kind of mission but if our group is interested I might be working on this further on (emphasis on the Intel was such a neat approach that I'm already thinking how I could include a tech tree to a campaign frame).

P2

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
Very cool, man!