XP For Failing

• 15 Replies

Max

XP For Failing
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Does the game still award XP for failing?

I've heard it tends to make character improvement too rapid

Thanks

Re: XP For Failing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Yes, you still get XP for failing but I've found the advancement to be just right.  You could always increase the number of XP required to level if you thought things were going too fast...

Max

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

noofy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
Yeah marshall is right, the best dial to turn is the number of XP per level. Having XP on a miss is such a great feature of heroic adventure!

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
You could also import the singleton rule from Monsterhearts, modified -- only one XP from a miss per scene.  (But I wouldn't.)

You could also change the end of session move to give multiple experience for each question answered, along with extra experience from alignment, and that would make misses worth less comparatively.  Then, just change how much experience per level you want.  Just another possibility.

But again -- getting the majority of your experience from missing is, in my estimation, really cool. 

Give it a shot once before totally dismissing it, I would posit.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »
Too rapid for what? There aren't any level milestones in DW that you need to hit, or treasure / monsters / challenges to stat up for level-appropriateness.

I can't think of any reason why leveling quickly would cause a problem in DW.

-t-

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:25:16 AM »
You hit level 11 and must resign your character. QQ

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
yeah, at a 143 total. Pretty huge. But you can also just change class, keeping the most important moves of your character.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
Character retirement isn't a problem, it's an opportunity.

Unless you think you should play the same character forever. But who thinks that? Probably the same people who think character death is a disaster.

noofy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:36:09 AM »
*holds head in hands in agony* 'but. there. is. just. too. many. moves. Arrrrrrgh!   :)
Seriously, character development is wondrous and the unique mesh of group story, narrative tags and personalisation of what the moves actually are to each player make each advance after telling stories around the camp/tavern/guild fireplace, heck each XP is worth exploring fictionally and creating canon for your group's Dungeon World.

'So, what did you learn from that, and what does it mean now?'. Gold.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Well, if you like high-powered play, you could keep leveling up 'til you hit 20th level.
After all, each class has 20 advanced moves to choose from, so why stop at 10th level, if roleplaying demi-god PCs is your thing ? ;-)

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
I don't think a 20th level DW character could ever be classified as a demigod. Or maybe it can?
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Max

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »
Character retirement isn't a problem, it's an opportunity.

Unless you think you should play the same character forever. But who thinks that? Probably the same people who think character death is a disaster.
There's a world of difference between playing the same character forever and not having had time to really get into your character because he's improving too fast.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
There are loads of things to do with a topped out level 10 character, though. Just because they aren't going to be getting any more moves from experience doesn't mean they're done. Just means you have to work through different, descriptive avenues to gain potency. Your level 10 fighter wants to gain her some spell castin'? I might just know a demigod of magic that can help with that, for a price. And I know a mad artificer who, rumour has it, can graft demon parts to you, and those demon bits have all sorts of power left in 'em, and almost nobody talks about dark urges or evil voices in their heads afterward.

Max

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
There are loads of things to do with a topped out level 10 character, though. Just because they aren't going to be getting any more moves from experience doesn't mean they're done. Just means you have to work through different, descriptive avenues to gain potency. Your level 10 fighter wants to gain her some spell castin'? I might just know a demigod of magic that can help with that, for a price. And I know a mad artificer who, rumour has it, can graft demon parts to you, and those demon bits have all sorts of power left in 'em, and almost nobody talks about dark urges or evil voices in their heads afterward.
True, good examples

I thought you could still gain Moves after 10th level?