Heritage Moves from Dark heart for all.

• 2 Replies

noofy

Heritage Moves from Dark heart for all.
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »
The lovely heritage move from Mr. Walton's Dark Heart of the Dreamer is one of my favourites and we've taken to replace the standard race moves as a basic move when you create a new character, even in a 'vanilla' game of dungeon world.

When you create a new adventurer, decide on your species, ethnicity, and cultural heritage, choosing anything or any combination of things that sounds interesting to you and the other players.
For example, I might play a marsh-dwarf witch who has some spiderlord ancestry.

Then, pick 2-3 heritage moves to start with, selecting from the “monster moves” that best match your heritage. No matter where or whom you come from, in someone’s eyes, you and your family are monsters.

I pick the Dwarven Warrior move “Drive them back,” the Spiderlord move “Enmesh in webbing,” and invent a move based on the character’s training in wilderness survival, “Scavenge for food and medicinal plants.”

At the beginning of a session or when you invoke your rights of blood and tradition (however you do that), roll+Wis. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, you still hold 1. (but I get to make a hard move) Spend this hold 1-for-1 during play to make a heritage move, just like that.

When you gain new appreciation for your heritage, add a new heritage move or change an existing one.

Asari Spurnheart, our dark elf paladin of Lolth for instance, took:
*Inflict pain beyond measure
*Use the dark to advantage
from the Dark Elf swordsmaster monster and
*Pass on divine knowledge
from the deep elf priest monster.

This has revolutionised our games! The lovely interpersonal meshing between bonds, heritage moves and alignment moves is gold. In our game, Asari uses her heritage move pass on divine knowledge in combination with I am the Law for wonderful scenes. In one instance compelling the Grumble, the Dwarven fighter's priestly hireling that lolth will devour all in the darkness and he best placate her with the 'gifts' of treasure that he found. He backed away and fled the underdark with Thor (the fighter's) gold and treasure. The found him later cocooned in webs, waiting to be digested by cave spiders. This triggered Asari's alignment xp stricture; Cause suffering for its own sake. Awesome.

Try it, its wonderful.

Re: Heritage Moves from Dark heart for all.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:10:59 AM »
YES. This is the way to do it.

Re: Heritage Moves from Dark heart for all.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
Very cool!