Custom Playbook - The Hex

• 7 Replies
Custom Playbook - The Hex
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
I've been playing around with hacking and customizing Monster of the Week (Which, by the by, is fantastic), and to get a handle on the system, I've built a custom playbook. The idea here was that while the Spooky seems to suggest someone who has inborn or unwanted supernatural power, the Hex is someone who deliberately went after it. The touchstone is obviously Willow, but also Giles in his "Ripper" days, Tara, Ethan Rayne, a dash of John Constantine.

Do I have totally the wrong idea about how to go about this, or is this an interesting playbook? Does it overlap too much with the Spooky to be useful?

Re: Custom Playbook - The Hex
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »
Note: your link gives me a "you need permission to see this" message.

Without seeing the draft yet, I'd say the concept has enough different from the Spooky to work. There might also be a bit of overlap with the Expert (especially one with "dark past").

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
Oops! I could've sworn it was shared. You should be able to read it now.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:12:33 AM »
Yes, it's working now. Thanks!

The playbook looks good to me: I like the idea of rote spells in particular. Maybe "ritual robes or vestments" could be another potential requirement? I'm not sure that the need to roll each cast is best - perhaps you could have a roll (of +Sharp?) to create the spell and that sets the effects right there - anytime afterwards it could be cast without a roll. Except that might be a bit easy. Needs a bit of thought, and probably a trial in play.

I think there could be a temptation of "secret knowledge" as well.

I would add to "force of will" that the luck spend can stand in for big magic requirements on a one-for-one basis, too. That's insanely powerful, but luck is intended to be a big deal.

I like the apotheosis and synthesis advanced moves, too. Apotheosis is a little complicated but the basic idea is very good and I look forward to a Hex going crazy with it.

Overall, very nice. I'll probably take it along next time I'm running a game to see if anyone wants to try it out.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
I actually came up with a variant text for rotes that might be better:

Rotes: After you use magic successfully, you can opt to declare that spell as one of your rotes. Write down the spell, give it a name, describe how you cast it and what it does; then ask the Keeper to tell you what it does on a 7-9 or on a miss. Then erase one of the requirements to cast it. Casting a rote is just like using magic - but you know the (Discount!) costs and risks in advance. At the start of play, you can learn a maximum of three rotes.

Makes for a bit more of a "spellbook" feel since they can have more rotes and cuts back on complexity a lot, I think.

If you try this out in play, let me know how it turns out!

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
Yes, I think that's a better way to do rotes. The Hex could even create a rote off a partial success or missed spell cast, if they want to have that happen again.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
That's brilliant - occasionally have them go "Oh yeah, I totally want the backlash from this to happen again."

Especially in combination with Bad Luck Charm.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
Very cool idea! I almost wish rotes had been around right in the core game. I'm curious, though, why did you go with the name "The Hex"? Just wondering, because it seems as though, aside from "Sympathetic Tokens", they don't have a huge focus on cursing people as such.

I think it would be neat if they had a move or two directly relating to how they'll go to terrible lengths to attain power, rather than representing the powers themselves--you know, making bad deals, using forbidden tomes, etc. Here's one idea I had; feel free to use it if you like:

-Deal with the Devil: When you go to the Monster (or something even worse) seeking a way to expand your power, it will give you a small taste and show you what horrifying, dehumanizing thing you need to do to make it permanent. Do it and it's yours (The Keeper will detail, including profile or custom move if necessary).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:53:58 PM by jadanol »
Operator (Cool+2, Hard-1, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird=0;Easy to Trust, Eye on the Door;Gigs (Honest Work, Companionship, Surveillance)