Questions on Ranger's Command ability and companion training

• 4 Replies
Questions on Ranger's Command ability and companion training
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
The Ranger's Command ablity states:

"When you work with your animal companion on something it’s trained in…" and then you get a bonus based on the stats you've chosen for your companion.

So, for example, if a companion is not trained to fight monsters, it cannot add/absorb damage for you if you're fighting a dragon.

That makes sense, however, it seems that the Commadn ability has no use for some of the training options. For instance, is there any Command that you can use when you work together with your companion at Labor, Guarding or Performance?

Also, can a companion be sent to do things it is not trained in? For example, can a Ranger leave his wolf to guard the entrance of the dungeon if it does not have guard training?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by Option »

Re: Questions on Ranger's Command ability and companion training
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
uh, maybe you can find some answers here:
http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=5949.0
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
uh, maybe you can find some answers here:
http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=5949.0

Thank you for the link, it seems we both noticed the same issue. I don't need my games to be 100% balanced but I wish there was some more description on how each of the companion attributes could be useful.

Anyhow, I am still wondering about my second question. Can a companion wolf stay and guard something even if it does not have "Guard" training? Can a companion mule carry some load if it does not have "Labor" training? Can a horse be ridden on a journey without the "Travel" training?

I think a lot of my questions would be answered (or at least clarified) if they had added companion attributes to the big list of tag descriptions shown at the end of the book.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
Have you ever had a dog that sort of kind of knew a trick? I think it's like that.

If your companion is trained to do something, they'll do it cause the GM is a fan of your character, the end. The only thing getting in the way of that is a hard move (miss or golden opportunity), cause to say no otherwise is lame and your GM shouldn't do it if they're any good.

If your companion isn't trained to do something, well, that's a golden opportunity. I mean, obviously right? If my dog isn't trained to keep out intruders, I'd be in the shit if I left my dog to guard my house, ya know? In the same way, if your companion isn't trained in a thing, the GM is welcome to make a hard move.

What that means is up to you, the GM, and how you interpret the fiction.

A companion not trained in Labor probably doesn't like carrying loads -- they'll shrug off your belongings and you'll discover they ditched your lantern at the worst possible time. A companion not trained for Travel tires quickly, and the GM will tell you about how it twists an ankle or you make bad time.

The training is exactly like the weapon tags -- they're convenient excuses to remind the GM what kind of hard moves to make when the opportunity presents itself. They're there to stop the GM from going "uuuh uuh so NINJAS ATTACK!" when we all know that's stupid, and your horse probably just lost a shoe on the rocks.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Thank you Alfred, that advice helps a lot. I read the Game Book and Beginner's Guide so I thought I would be pretty well prepared to GM, but the more I read these forums, the more I realize how little I understand and how much I still have to learn.