Fighter Unarmored by Choice

• 4 Replies
Fighter Unarmored by Choice
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »
I preparing to run my first Dungeon World game and one of my players wants to play a fighter who uses his fists as his signature weapon and is unarmored by choice. Should I give this player some benefit for forgoing armor? I am considering letting him swap his Armored starting move for an Unarmored custom starting move that states "When you wear no armor, you have 1 armor." Do you think that is fair or would you suggest something else?

Re: Fighter Unarmored by Choice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
I think trading the armour related move with the "Unencumbered, Unhindered" move from the Barbarian wouldn't be a problem, especially since the Barbarian has the option of taking the Armoured move as well.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
I think trading the armour related move with the "Unencumbered, Unhindered" move from the Barbarian wouldn't be a problem, especially since the Barbarian has the option of taking the Armoured move as well.
Thanks for the good suggestion, Aaron. I hadn't looked at the Barbarian yet, but now that I have, letting the Fighter swap Armored for Unencumbered, Unhindered does make the most sense.

sage

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
Our vision of the Fighter was definitely the gal in armor, so armor is the default there. They've got the load to handle it and all that. Giving them the Barbarian move won't be a problem, but it sounds like what the player really wants is a monk-type character. We've got some ideas on that, but they're months out at the least. Check out this to get an idea of some of our early thoughts: http://www.latorra.org/2012/07/10/the-battlemind/

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Sage. Yep, I think the player is going for a monk-type character, but is happy to fit it within the Fighter class as long he can be unarmored. Thanks also for sharing the link to your early thoughts on the Battlemind; I like the use of Focus and stances to give the class a unique flavor.