Mass Effect: Apocalypse

• 37 Replies
Re: Mass Effect: Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
Here's a direct link to a word document containing my complete Mass Effect hack for Apocalypse World:

http://home.comcast.net/~of_the_woods/ME/Mass_Effect_Apocalypse.docx

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »
Just finished this with the document! I did it in the trifold style as I just love that from AW.

That helped a ton!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Hhx1yXlz-OajFiUkIwMUJVemc/edit?usp=sharing

I did redorder a few items unfort. I had to if I wanted the tri-folds to be semi-proper with matching fronts backs.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
BTW, If you like, I will clean up Andrew's character sheets (just matching size, logo and font) and add those to the PDF's.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
Ardhanari, I had some feedback tell me that the thumbnails were too small for the species, which is fair enough as it is not friendly, but being that there is no flavor text and info about the species anyways it is not really newb friendly.

I helped create a rather large d20 book for ME, so would you mind if I pulled some text from there to give each species their own page? I may also give a basic game introduction for newbies as well.

Second, I have a for for you? I like the vorcha, can i get some race info for them to add?

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
Hello,

Yeah, the Word document I linked to is a stripped down document with only my hack's game mechanics. It's stripped down from the full web-page here:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mass-effect-apocalypse

I figured that information about the Mass Effect universe is readily available online, particularly the Mass Effect wikia, and if people wanted to run games in that setting, all they really need from me is game mechanical crunch. They can get all the flavor they need elsewhere.

As for Vorcha:

Vorcha are used to savage combat where they throw themselves at the enemy without concern for their own safety. They get +1 whenever they sieze by force.

Species Move: Vorcha Regeneration: When you hit 9:00 or further on the Harm countdown, roll +Hard. On a 10+, heal 2 harm. On a 7-9, heal 1 harm. On a miss, your system is too traumatized, you may not regenerate for the rest of the battle. You may not regenerate harm inflicted by weapons with the "burn" tag or incendiary ammo.

Design thoughts: Since regen only kicks in when you hit 9:00 or further, it's conceivable that you can use it more than once in a fight if you heal below 9:00 and then get harmed back to 9. But if you're just taking too much damage too fast, or have been hurt particularly bad to where regen doesn't bring you back below 9:00, you only get it the once. That seems in keeping with Vorcha's adaptability.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
I would be interested to see what you would add from that d20 book you mention, as well as your character sheet design. You seem to have a talent for design and layout :)

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
I would be interested to see what you would add from that d20 book you mention, as well as your character sheet design. You seem to have a talent for design and layout :)

Thanks, been doing this a long time and only lately out of a need to help writers (AW being such a simple system to design for as converting to BW keeps it semi consistent.)

I have a lot going on this week with it being tax week next monday, so sometimes soon I will finish these. Thank you for not minding!

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
I don't mind at all :)

I'm glad there are at least a few other folks who enjoy both the ME universe and Apocalypse World enough to see them both squished together :)

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
Awesome!

I'm going to link to this document for my players in case they want a lovely hard-copy :)

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
Although, heh, I did make one last minute rules addition under "Supplemental Rules."

I added a section called "GM Moves and Experience" which adapts the Tremulus method for permitting the GM to put off making immediate moves when PC's fail a roll, allowing the GM to accumulate Hold. After my first Mass Effect playtest session, there were a number of circumstances where the PC's failed a roll, but the fiction didn't allow for immediate "hard" moves. I like the ability to defer that decision a bit, making dramatic events more fluid.

The new section is on the Obsidian Portal page, and I also updated the Word document at the same link as above. I also slightly edited the "Advancement" header of the Supplemental Rules section.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »
I downloaded the above Word doc and did not see it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:28:57 AM by trayburn »

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
The paragraph is at the bottom of page 4

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

Cneph

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:05:02 AM »
Looks cool.  Seems like you've managed a surprisingly good mapping of abilities from the game to, well, this game.  Like you say, the optional battle moves really aren't optional in this hack.

A couple questions spring to mind:
Why do the focused classes get +3 in the primary stat vs the hybrid classes?  Presumably a balance issue?

Is No Shit Pilot a tech or personal move?

Layout thought, on the sheets- as the game doesn't use highlighted stats, is there room to put in the attached basic moves if the highlight box is removed?
The advancement section- as its offset, it could read '...left column before choosing from the right column'?

Some 'balance' thoughts- so take these for what they are worth:
Some racial +1 bonuses will come up much more often, and more importantly can be triggered by player description (e.g Asari) vs say the Quarians, who really don't want to have to use their bonus. :)
Adrenal Rush is way more powerful and flexible than Singularity (not a surprise, as it comes from the slightly powergamey Touchstone) - killing someone disables them for more than one tick.  And yet, the consequences of failure are worse for Singularity.  Maybe consider swapping them?  The Soldier also gets better gear.

Anyway, that's all nitpicking, it looks like a solid hack.