Front Help? Trolling for Ideas

• 4 Replies
Front Help? Trolling for Ideas
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
So, I'm sort of kicking around ideas right now, working on a Front.  Right now, I've got the Main Danger of the front, the partially-embodied spirit of a great wyrm/dragon god/scary elder evil.  I know what his motivation is and the sort of things he plans to do.  What I don't have are other Dangers to round out the story yet.

The idea, so far is that the Evil Dragon was incompletely resurrected by a spell interrupted by the players.  Now a weak shade of its true glory, it has to fly around putting itself back together, consuming arcane power (I'm thinking one of the next few adventures will be in a haunted keep where he's eating ghosts to refuel his ecto-batteries), finding its Name and maybe its Heart or stuff like that.  Along the way, it will be summoning weaker dragons and drake-like beings to itself - probably getting a lizardman army or a horde of orcs (probably not orcs, too cliche) or something.  Anyways, I'm fine with that....  I need other Dangers to throw  into the mix, other actors to complicate the story.

I started off with some notes about a group of Dragon Hunter Knights who seek power through dragon-eating, but I found it sort of silly (and am only NOW just seeing the Skyrim in it, hilarious).  Beyond that, I'm drawing a blank, so I thought maybe if I toss it out into the crowd, somebody might, at least, spark my own brain juices.

Or maybe I should just wait until I'm not so tired... either way.

Anyway, here's what i have of the Front so far:

THE RETURN OF THE STORM WYRM

DANGER
THE NAMELESS DRAKE (LORD OF THE UNDEAD/DRAGON)
Intent:  to seek true immortality
GRIM PORTENTS
  • The Lesser Flights converge
  • The Drake consumes power
  • The Name is uncovered
  • The Drake returns to Life
Impending Doom:  Destruction

Drez

Re: Front Help? Trolling for Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
If the dragon is eating ghosts, maybe the ghosts can be a danger. Maybe they attack the PCs, mistaking them as servants of the dragon.

Speaking of servants, dragons are often worshipped as gods. You said the PCs interrupted a spell? Could the caster have been a priest of a dragon cult? Could a dragon cult seek to try and re-cast the spell?

Well, there's a couple of ideas. Hope they help!
All my posts (unless stated otherwise) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
Another band of adventurous NPCs has obtained an object of power.  They plan to bind the dracolich with it.  Good intentions aside, this group clearly does not have what it takes to get the job done.  (They are too old, too young, too inexperienced, too stupid, too drunk, playing by d20 rules, or whatever.)  The PCs recognize this.  They fear these incompetent NPCs will be slaughtered and the magical object will instead fall into the hands of the dragon.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
I'm new to the forums so excuse the ramblings that follow - I thought I would just toss out a few quick ideas...

The band of knights going after the Dragon isn't such a silly idea. Personally I would play around with the concept a little though. Perhaps an ancient order of paladins who require the dragon's soul to forge a [insert favorite magical trinket here] which they need to slay something more powerful than the dracolich? Perhaps the thing that brought it back from the Black Gates of Death? And the PCs just thwarted that by killing the Dragon first? So what is going to happen without the Magical thingy? And how are the PCs going to fix it?

As for other threats? I would go with the time honored back-stabbing dragon lieutenant. The one that secretly wants the Dracolich's power but is pretending to be his loyal servant while all the time aiding the PCs in the background. The PCs know the bastard is utterly evil and they shouldn't trust him but without his help the Dracolich could win

I like the idea of the Dragon Cult too, nothing keeps the PCs on their toes like feeling like they are being watched... ALL THE TIME! And because you know that the NPC -the one who the party all loves is a member of the Dragon Cult! Maybe even the King or Queen or one of the Royal children is a cult member? Maybe one of the PCs was once a Cult Member but is afraid to admit it to his fellow adventurers?

What if the Dragon eating all these ghosts is messing with the natural order of Death? What if things just aren't dying when they are supposed to because Death is too busy trying to repair the damage between worlds? Imagine the PCs surprise when their hated foe Trog-mar-Krell the Ogre King keeps getting back up after dying? What if a PC suffers a fatal wound that does not kill them but they know it should have? No Death, No explanations -I know my players would begin to freak out over that...

Anyway just a few ideas.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:44:16 PM by EbonWarlock »

noofy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Great ideas all round!
I wouldn't get too detailed though, I think your original outline and idea of the ghost filled ruins is ample juice to get the story kickin'.
Start the players in an action filled scene that assumes your intention that the Evil Dragon was incompletely resurrected by a spell interrupted by the players. Start them in the keep, beset by ghosts. Ask questions like crazy!

What spell was interrupted? Who cast it? Where is the keep? What do you know of the ghosts? Why did you come here?

Make some stake questions up that you frame scenes to answer in play. Toss it out to your players to answer! Like...

What are the Dragon Knights wanting the power (through eating dragons) for? What are they willing to risk to get it?
Where and what is the Dracolich's Phylactery?

Leave it open to be discovered through play I say!