New Wizard Race: Storm Gnome

• 7 Replies
New Wizard Race: Storm Gnome
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
One of the players for my upcoming, first ever, DUNGEON WORLD game, asked to play a Gnomish Storm Wizard.  I whipped up this racial for him...  any thoughts?

Storm Gnome - Your elemental heart beats with the crash of thunder.  Storms always count as places of power for you for the purpose of performing Rituals.

Re: New Wizard Race: Storm Gnome
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Looks good to me. That's actually pretty clever!

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
Cool!
I started a blog to share my pain: gmstruggles.wordpress.com

All my posts (unless stated otherwise) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
That's really, really cool MrPrim. I like it a lot. My first thought was "Oh geeze. Gnomes. Really?" and my second was "Storm Gnomes, too?" But that is an incredibly elegant, incredibly flavorful, incredibly awesome racial move. Bravo.
If you see my post in your thread, it'll die within 24 hours. You've been warned.

@HyveMynd on Twitter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »
It's gotten me thinking about the setting and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it, now.  I'm trying to avoid doing any planning, this is my very first Dungeon World scenario and I THINK I'll have a player whose only ever played one bad session of one RPG before (and it was DnD 4e), so I'm trying to go by the book and just play to discover.  But I sort of gave my players the broad strokes and listed off the playbooks, because they seemed interested, and now they're all choosing and starting to ask for things, so I'm doing a little more thinking than I had planned to.

So, instead of your usual gnomes, these gnomes have an elemental flair - their hearts are actually jewels infused with elemental energy.  Stormheart Gnomes, Blazeheart Gnomes, Deepheart Gnomes, etc.  With two little sentences I have a whole race of elementally-infused, magically interesting little folk who fit the gnome roles my players are expecting while still letting me twist their expectations.

Plus, I get to give a little wink over to Treasure Trolls, and that's never a bad thing ;)

vsh

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:05 AM »
Great racial move! Though as written it's a bit too narrow and mechanical. I'd like it more as "Storm always is a place of power for you".

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:37 AM »
Love it! I picture a little wizened guy with gray skin, a purple beard the color of storm clouds the blows on an unseen wind, and lightning in his eyes. Totally metal!

So do Blazeheart Gnomes treat volcanoes as places of power?

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
So do Blazeheart Gnomes treat volcanoes as places of power?

Only the once, and then you have a vaguely Gnome shaped pile of cinders. ;)

After reading the Wizard class again, I  agree with vsh's comment. Currently only two moves (tRitual starting move and the Enchanter's Soul advanced move) care about places of power, but changing the text to just "Storms count as places of power for you." would allow a Storm Gnome character to take advantage of both. Plus it leaves the door open for Compendium Class moves or future moves that require a place of power. Still a fantastically elegant racial move. Probably one of the best I've seen. Kudos.
If you see my post in your thread, it'll die within 24 hours. You've been warned.

@HyveMynd on Twitter