Alternate Angel move

• 6 Replies
Alternate Angel move
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
I don't like Healing touch for a number of reasons. So here is a move I'll be replacing it with next time I play.

Midwife: When you deliver a baby, roll+weird. On a 10+ all 3. On a 7-9 the MC chooses 2.
*The baby lives
*The mother lives
*The community is grateful for your service
On a miss you choose 1. Remember just because a community is grateful doesn't mean each individual in the community is.

The angel starts with it wether he wants it or not (still gets two other moves).

Re: Alternate Angel move
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:07 AM »
I don't really like Healing Touch either. I like this move though!

I think I would change the choices a little though. The results of how the community respond is a little too leading, I think the consequences of the choices should be left more open-ended and easy to interpret in different ways. How does this sound?

On a 10+, you deliver the baby safely and without complications to the mother. On 7-9, choose 3:
  • the mother lives
  • the baby lives
  • it's an quick birth with little pain
  • it's a easy delivery with no other health complications
On a miss, the MC chooses 2.
Looking for a playbook? Check out my page!
http://nerdwerds.blogspot.com/2012/12/all-of-playbooks.html

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »

Why weird?

Also, wow, that's some mortality rate. It suggests quite a lot about the setting. What happens when people give birth without an Angel? How do communities treat pregnancy / orphans / etc. ? Lots of questions.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »
Why the hate for healing hands? Too magic?

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
Very cool idea for many reasons, most importantly it brings pregnancy and child birth to the forefront of a story which leads to all sorts of great drama and tension. Capital choice!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
I love the way you've framed the move!

However, I agree with Daniel Wood's concerns. What are your intentions for this move?

I could see using it as "when you deliver a baby despite dangerous complications", which explains why people can still give birth without an Angel around.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »
@nerdwerds: I assume pain and fear no matter what, my apocalypses are usually places where the thousands of years of culture we have now are mutilated and facts such as the fucking and pregnancy link are not widely known and even how people are generated (after all, you don't see the pregnant women of some tribes much less the births (also I usually include some societies based completely around still working machines for spinning adult bodies or quarentined vaults with much less functional wake ups)).

@Pau: I want the move to have profound fallout because there might not even be a birth a session framed. To reduce the ridiculous mortality rate a better trigger might be "When you assist in a complicated delivery" and the fallout without assisting being up to the MC.

@Wood: I wanted the Angel to have a reason to get a high Weird without looking at other playbooks. I also considered what kind of people the apocalypse would have as midwives: the hocus, the brainer, the savvyhead but not the hardholder, chopper or operator. I think sharp would work well too, a driver would be a cool midwife.

@Praion: Yes. I love the angel kit move but healing hands seems so cheap in comparison (and it can deal with the first two ticks as well). Also it gives any weird class an easy way into healing making the Angel sidelined. Thirdly I suck at coming up with hard moves following a failed roll for opening your brain.