Carouse failure and XP mark

• 13 Replies
Carouse failure and XP mark
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
My friends and I played Dungeon World on this Saturday. At the end of session we used a 300-coin jeweled mask to pay as a group a feast held at the halfling village.

The Carouse move says:

Carouse
When you return triumphant and throw a big party, spend 100 coins and roll +1 for every extra 100 coins spent. ?On a 10+, choose 3. ?On a 7–9, choose 1. ?On a miss, you still choose one, but things get really out of hand (the GM will say how).
  • You befriend a useful NPC.
  • You hear rumors of an opportunity.
  • You gain useful information.
  • You are not entangled, ensorcelled, or tricked.

I rolled for the group and I got a 6-. The question is: who marks XP?

Re: Carouse failure and XP mark
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
Whoever made the roll, of course!  The chief party-maker.  The host, the patron, the most popular member of the party, maybe?

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
I'd make them each roll seperately and give XP to any that failed.  I mean, they sure payed for it and they're all carousing, it's not like one guy's carousing while everyone else watches...

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:57:13 AM »
I would probably propose either whoever rolled (because we have a player who is known to roll high, seriously) or the xp would go to whoever had the least xp or lowest level.
I started a blog to share my pain: gmstruggles.wordpress.com

All my posts (unless stated otherwise) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
I asked for clarification on Carouse rolling somewhere here, and one of the creators said that just one person should roll, but that others who partied too could roll to aid.

But in any case, there is no "roll for the group," because the group doesn't have a CHA modifier: only individual characters do. Either each person rolls, or the others roll to aid. GM doesn't ever need to touch dice for anything, unless you just want to roll damage.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
... But in any case, there is no "roll for the group," because the group doesn't have a CHA modifier: only individual characters do. Either each person rolls, or the others roll to aid. ...

+1 for this. Group rolls is best represented by one person making the actual roll, and the other players simply aiding.

This works weird with stealth rolls though, since a larger group would be easier to detect.
I just recently started a blog on my gaming experiences on www.partialsuccess.wordpress.com

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
Remember that no matter how many people aid in a roll, only a single +1 is gained.
-Jeremiah

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
Whoops… really? I fear I skipped this rule.

Edit: Yes, I checked and you are right:

Quote from: p. 72
No matter how many people aid or interfere with a given roll, the target only gets the +1 or -2 once. Even if a whole party of adventurers aid in attacking an ogre, the one who makes the final attack only gets +1.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
It's easy to miss, but I like the situations it can open up.

Maybe a certain action is really important and multiple people roll Aid to make sure that +1 comes out.

Chances are one or more of the helpers rolls a 7-9. Woo!
-Jeremiah

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
if really everyone wants to roll, then it's a chain of aiding moves: I aid you, you aid him, and he aids the actual roller.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Ok, it’s a possible solution. But what if a failure occurs somewhere in the chain of rolls?

Note: we’re softly shifting off-topic. It seems to me now we’re debating about aid or interfere (move) rolls; it’s still good and interesting to me, but of course it’s also off-topic.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »
well, let's keep it simple then: it happens what always happens when someone misses a roll, that is, the GM makes a move as hard as he likes that follows from the fiction. So the details of what the gm's move might be are completely entwined to what is actually happening in the situation at hand.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
One thing I like about DW is that it's really robust to drift and variation can be a delight.  If they're throwing a party because they want to have words with the duke, then maybe one player rolls and the others aid (everyone succeeds or gets xp).  If they return to throw a victorious wedding, maybe they all split up and each person rolls separately to see what happens at their table.  Perhaps the humans and the dwarfs in the group throw two separate parties, each trying to one-up the other and each race gets a carouse roll and an aid roll.  I say mix it up, it's hard to do it wrong.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Seems to me that each action has a possible consequence. So if the person rolling is willing to accept responsibility for the consequence from failing a roll that may or may not benefit the entire group, then that is his choice. If he is using group resources, he must have had permission to spend it throwing a party right? Maybe not. Sure he may get the XP, but maybe things got out of hand and he is responsible for damages, or thrown in jail, or banned from town.
The fiction would also be the main concern here. Who is more likely to carouse in town? The fighter? The thief? The druid? Ranger? Bard?
Also, if someone is aiding the original carouser, doesn't he also stand his own chance at failure? And maybe if he does fail his consequence is linked to the trouble makers.
Just some thoughts. I haven't actually gotten to play this awesome game yet and am hoping I can get my players as excited as I am to play it. I have been a role player for going on 32 years off and on, and it seems I have strayed far from my role playing roots and am now just a gamer. I don't want to be a gamer, I want to role play like I used to. This game will help me do that, even if I have to drag my players kicking and screaming. And they protest too much, I will have to find replacements. Love all of the advice on these boards BTW and love the newbie guide, helped a ton.