Rules query - Operator's obligation gigs and the end of a session

• 5 Replies
I've got a quandary; In a game of mine, the operator who has the obligation gig 'maintaining your honor', has blown it; she made a promise to a big group of people then totally blew it deliberately to get around them. Problem is that it came at the end of a session, at the start of the next session she's gonna get her moonlighting roll.

Now I feel that it should come back to bite her properly, but if she chooses her obligation gig for her next moonlighting and makes it then shouldn't it override the consequences as per prescriptive vs descriptive?

Not quite sure how to resolve this, so would be appreciative of any advice you could lend.

Re: Rules query - Operator's obligation gigs and the end of a session
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
If almost literally no time has passed between sessions, our group doesn't bother rolling the obligation gig for the Operator. I was the Operator, so I was happy not risking a new consequence and just continuing with the previous session's fuckery.

If you don't feel it fair to rule that way, I feel you could still noodle on the consequences of that failure, and bank it in your bag of threats: the next time the Operator blows a roll in-game, and that Threat makes sense, then weave that that  into the story.
"Above the tortured heavens
So full of silent waiting
Howl screams of birth and triumph
Unlock the faceless hating"

- Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets, "Ogdru Jahad"

noclue

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »
The operator still has to deal with fictional repercussions. She failed an obligation, that doesn't go away because she's got some new gig. The people she made a promise to are still gonna be mad she welched on her deal. They're still looking for payback.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »
I think this is really interesting, because it raises the questions of how much description you get from characters about their Moonlighting and Wealth. Especially with the Operator, I enjoy asking them a bit about the gigs they choose to work or not, what job it is they're trying to get done, so that if things go wrong we've got something to work with. I think this is in accordance with the principle, "to do it, do it."

Anyway, to bring this back to your question, if no time has passed then maybe devonapple's point remains. But if you feel like maybe some time has passed then let the Operator roll moonlighting, but if they say they want to work Honour as a gig, ask them how? what are they doing to regain their honour after the last session? If they can't come with anything plausible, then maybe they don't get to work that gig. And if they do come up with something that might work then awesome, let them roll! Either way, it stops being your problem.

I swear, half of the time when I have problems with AW, I can fix it by turning things back on the players and asking them to help make up the details that make the fiction make sense.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
Thanks alot, peeps. Lots of sound advice, feel pretty prepped now for what to do in the next session.

I hadn't thought about asking a HH about what they do for their wealth move but it makes a lot of sense, it would be a good way of forming connections with the sort of ground level guys where most games i have played in or see they tend to deal with very big problems that affect the hold and kind of neglect the more personal relations except with other pc's. Certainly, its kind of a  unanswered question of the hardholder's sheet most of the time from my experience; they get barter from the move but don't dictate whether it is like taxes or rent or whatever.

noclue

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:02:54 AM »
I think it's a good rule of thumb to always drill down on a move so that you can describe what happened. The HH has 1 barter? What is it actually? What does it look like? Where did it come from and who paid? How else can you put your bloody fingerprints on it?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER