A few questions about Ranger companions.

• 4 Replies
A few questions about Ranger companions.
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
The ranger' animal companion includes the choices of several  descriptors (which I assume are tags) for strengths, trainings and weaknesses.  While some of these tags provide clear or otherwise previously defined information.  Some seem a bit vague and don't seem to be defined elsewhere in the text.

Am I missing something?  Are they just descriptive and left for me to describe more fully for my players?

Re: A few questions about Ranger companions.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »
Many of the tags are just like Messy or Forceful - like you say, narrative tags to help you narrate your GM moves?  Ranger have a Savage pet?  Have him go all Nymeria on that noble that's being an ass to the party.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »

Many of the tags are just like Messy or Forceful - like you say, narrative tags to help you narrate your GM moves?  Ranger have a Savage pet?  Have him go all Nymeria on that noble that's being an ass to the party.

Ok, that's what I thought, but once my player asked the question of me.. I stumbled and used my standard of.. Uhm, I don't know, but I know where to ask.   That said, how about huge, I assumed it was huge as in huge for it's species, not huge as in bigger than a house  Though thoughts of a house sized pigeon are somewhat amusing :)

noclue

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:30:22 AM »
They're good for using when you show the downside of the ranger's stuff. Like "an owl would normally fit through that window, but your owl is huge isn't he?"
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »
I took it like the descriptors should be fitting to the pet, not an augmentation. Like a Bear would be huge, but a rat wouldn't. It's your game though, play by "the Rule of Cool"!
I just recently started a blog on my gaming experiences on www.partialsuccess.wordpress.com