New hardhold from new playbook

• 7 Replies
New hardhold from new playbook
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
So Ebb, my operator, just took the "choose a new playbook" option to become a hardholder. Two questions. Daniel Levine (MC) and I could probably come to reasonable conclusions but it's useful to get some outside opinions.

1. Is this kosher even though there's already another Hardholder in the group?

We're likely going to do it anyway, even if the answer is 'no.' It makes sense for this game. Ebb confronted Kava (the existing hardholder) about how shitty a job she was doing running things, offered to take over the leadership, and when she said she wouldn't feel safe unless she was in charge cuz she wasn't convinced Ebb could protect her, Ebb said he'd go start his own hold and prove to her he could do things better. So it makes sense for our story to have two hardholders.

2. Should Ebb's new hardhold use the regular Hardholder creation rules? or the nerfed gang rules?

The nerfed gang rules seem to be for the weaker "you get a hold and a gang" advancement move, not the full-on "you become a fucking hardholder" advancement move. But I'm biased. What y'all think? I couldn't find anything particular in the rules to say either way.

In any case, I'm excited to prove that there's a better way. Even if Ebb dies trying.

lumpley

Re: New hardhold from new playbook
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »
If you switch to a hardholder, definitely use the hardholder playbook to create your holding, including your gang.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a rule saying that no duplicate playbooks are allowed.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »
There is, but it's for character creation. The special advances break all kinds of "rules," so it's not clear that I can't duplicate a playbook.

But as I said, the players at the table want to see if Ebb can create a better world (well, hold) after criticizing Kava for running her hold so awfully, so we want two Hardholders.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:28:24 PM »
For my seven (!) player game, I ruled you could switch to another player's playbook... with that player's consent.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 04:34:10 AM »
For my seven (!) player game, I ruled you could switch to another player's playbook... with that player's consent.

That's a good idea!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:05:31 PM »
I've always assumed if you take a new character or switch playbooks you can make the new character or new playbook any playbook, regardless of what's currently in play.  But that isn't based on anything other than my own reading of the text.

DannyK

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »
As an MC, I would love to see this in my game... the potential for conflict between PC's and torn loyalties is amazing.