One NPC, Multiple Threat Types

• 2 Replies
One NPC, Multiple Threat Types
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »
I have an NPC antagonist who fulfills multiple threat types. Since I'm giving it mind powers, I'm going to go with my gut and call it a Mindfucker, even though it is a radioactive Mutation that is forming a Cult of mutants made from people it has irradiated and broken mentally. .

I suspect the Threat types are meant to be good inspiration, providing a handy shorthand for developing threats, not a means of constraining and limiting Threats. As such, I'm happy to go with the most pertinent threat type.

However, should this be a symptom that I'm making the NPC too complicated, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Or should I perhaps be giving each means of threat its own place in the Front?
"Above the tortured heavens
So full of silent waiting
Howl screams of birth and triumph
Unlock the faceless hating"

- Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets, "Ogdru Jahad"

DWeird

Re: One NPC, Multiple Threat Types
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
What you're doing sounds great. Simplest solution is to add the cult as a separate Threat and be done with it.

Make it a front, if you want. This dude sure sounds like he's got a plan and a direction, so that'd be easy enough to do.

As a kind of pet peeve... Mind powers =/= Mindfucker. I've had a Mindfucker who was just a guy with a gun, some drugs, and a sense of humour. The relevant bit is that the dude fucks minds, over or with.

You've got that covered with the whole irradiation and breaking down mentally thing, though, so it seems a snug enough fit.

Re: One NPC, Multiple Threat Types
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
As a kind of pet peeve... Mind powers =/= Mindfucker. I've had a Mindfucker who was just a guy with a gun, some drugs, and a sense of humour. The relevant bit is that the dude fucks minds, over or with.

Thank you - that is an important distinction.

I looked at the drives for each of the Threats, and Mutant didn't cut it. Sybarite and Cult were close. Maybe Cult is still the best choice after all.
"Above the tortured heavens
So full of silent waiting
Howl screams of birth and triumph
Unlock the faceless hating"

- Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets, "Ogdru Jahad"