Mounted combat!

• 15 Replies
Mounted combat!
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
I know mounted combat doesn't really come up IN dungeons much, so it makes sense that it isn't a default move, but I thought something like this might be interesting . . .

When you charge into the thick of battle on a mount, roll +STR

*On a 10+, deal your damage, or choose from the 7-9 list and deal your damage +1d6. *On a 7-9, deal your damage but choose one
  • You are thrown from your steed and take d6 damage
  • Your steed panics
  • Your steed is injured

Thoughts? Should mounts be an entire supplement to the rules in the style of hirelings? Obviously all of this can just be handled in-fiction and by use of the defy danger move, but I'm curious what you all think is suitable for a more cavalry-oriented campaign.

Re: Mounted combat!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
Thrown from your steed and taking damage is like two hard moves (use up their resources and deal damage).  Why would you choose that option?

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
I'm with you Marshall, that seems too harsh.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
Thrown from your steed and taking damage is like two hard moves (use up their resources and deal damage).  Why would you choose that option?

Excellent point. I was thinking about it as having the advantage of allowing you to still fight and leave your mount unharmed, but it really is pretty nasty, especially since "your horse panics" is really just a setup for defy danger or even just a clever plan to calm it down. Hrrrm . . . maybe just change it to "the enemy makes an attack against you." That way, it's basically giving you the option to use it as hack & slash or put yourself (mount panics) or your mount (mount attacked) in danger.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:06:52 AM »

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
MOUNTED COMBAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egne2ZCMM_0

This is why Dungeon World is the RPG I'm most proud of :')

noofy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »
I Like the modified move Bob! Cool beans :)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
I know mounted combat doesn't really come up IN dungeons much, so it makes sense that it isn't a default move, but I thought something like this might be interesting . . .

When you charge into the thick of battle on a mount, roll +STR

*On a 10+, deal your damage, or choose from the 7-9 list and deal your damage +1d6. *On a 7-9, deal your damage but choose one
  • You are thrown from your steed and take d6 damage
  • Your steed panics
  • Your steed is injured

Thoughts? Should mounts be an entire supplement to the rules in the style of hirelings? Obviously all of this can just be handled in-fiction and by use of the defy danger move, but I'm curious what you all think is suitable for a more cavalry-oriented campaign.

There are all kinds of ways you can handle mounted combat, depending on how much you want to get into the exact details of things.  You could just make a move like...

"When you attack a foe from horseback, add 1d6 to your damage." and then just remember the horse as a thing that is part of the narrative.  Failed rolls mean things like falling from your horse, injured steeds, etc etc.

Or you could get more detailed and write a handful of jousting rules and modifications to weapons while on horseback, etc.

Again, it's going to depend on how "serious" the topic is to your players and the setting!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
I'd totally present a mount as a weapon.  You could give it tags to represent training and breed.  Exceptional mounts could give custom moves like magic items.

Scrape

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
Fun! I kinda want it to be +Dex or even +Con just to mix up the "attack Stat" a bit. Cool!

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
You could do up a little revision of the Monster Questions generator to make a mount.

Is it well-trained?
Is it wild?
Is it a breed known for bravery?

etc etc.

noofy

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:48:02 AM »
I reckon any knight worth their mettle should have bond with their mount, and thus Roll+bond when they charge into battle (with whatever move sequence you choose to enact).

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
Cavalier playbook please!  Actually, that sounds like a compendium class rather than a playbook.  Well shucks, I guess I should put my money where my mouth is.  How does this sound?

When you bolster your relationship with your mount, you may take this move the next time you level.  

Time in the Saddle
Write a new Bond with your mount, this Bond can be resolved as usual if you so desire. Whenever you write a new Bond you may write it with your mount.

Once you've put Time in the Saddle, the following moves count as class moves for you.  In addition to your normal list of moves, you may choose from this list when you gain a level.

Practice Makes Perfect
When you bolster your relationship with your mount, add your bond to your hold.

Two Heads
When you make a move that involves your mount, you may roll +bond instead of the normal stat.

Do the Same for Me
When you are incapacitated, unconscious, or dead in the presence of your mount, your mount can make basic moves on your behalf.

noofy

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:37 AM »
Now that's more like it Marshall! Very nice :)